Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recent years he has shown to be seriously mentally weak and can suffer horrendous and prolonged mental meltdowns if something doesn't go his way.

Not to mention his BP and SP conversion record. It seems that every time he goes up 0-40 on opponents serve, those BP will promptly vanish in the blink of an eye.

I think this is due to the fact that he's so used to opponents bending over backwards to him during his dominance he doesn't feel the need to play attacking tennis during these break points, and he still fully expects the opponent to commit a UE to hand him the break.

His mental strength was evident yesterday with that bad smash, which caused a mental meltdown for one and a half sets. By the time he recovered (partially) it was too late, he was too tired and exhausted to regain hold of the match.

This is also reminiscent to his loss to Djokovic in USO 2011. Djokovic got away with a lucky return and he totally lost it afterwards.

So please Roger I'm still a fan, but make your next appointment with a psychologist!!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
He will be 33 in a couple of months.

He has played and won almost everything possible, a multiple times.

He has a family and tennis may not be his main priority now.

He plays tennis because he enjoys it. Not just to win every time.

He is fine.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
well, maybe you should make an appointment with your psychologist too :). Fed is playing for fun. Or maybe not, 4 kids cost some money.

We all slow down. Freaking mother nature. Nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
well, maybe you should make an appointment with your psychologist too :). Fed is playing for fun. Or maybe not, 4 kids cost some money.

We all slow down. Freaking mother nature. Nothing you can do about it.
You are wrong. He's not playing for fun, he's playing because he believes he can win slams. The day he loses that belief will be the day he retires. Sure, he has fun and loves tennis, but that is not his driving force, nor is it the driving force of any great champion.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
You are wrong. He's not playing for fun, he's playing because he believes he can win slams. The day he loses that belief will be the day he retires. Sure, he has fun and loves tennis, but that is not his driving force, nor is it the driving force of any great champion.
I'm not so sure about slams. As for his driving force I don't know about that either :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think he still believes that he can at least go very deep in Slams, if not win them. The mentality of a competitor is never that they just play for fun and don't aim to win.

There was NO EXCUSES for him to lose that match yesterday. It should have been a straight set win 8/10 times he if had 5-3 and 40-15 on serve.

Same sort of mental lapse against Tursunov the previous match. He never should have lost that second set. I couldn't remember how many times he had 0-40 and 3 break points and could not convert.

I do think that however his current family situation is affecting his game, with two newborns he probably couldn't fully take his mind of them.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Anyone saying Federer is playing "for fun" at this stage at his career is suffering from delusion of the highest order. Even if you disregard his currently life situation watching any of his matches where he's not cruising (which is often these days) would tell you he is having anything but fun.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
well, he should've visit a psychologist 4-5 years ago when he choked slams left and right (ao 2009, uso 2009, uso 2010, 1st set rg 2011, uso 2011)

now it's too late, he's almost 33 :shrug:

·
Registered
21,270 Posts
Well he is still playing and he is not dead. If he is not playing for 'some' fun what is he playing for? He needs more money? yes, no?
Do you really need to ask? Fed is obviously is not playing just for fun, its also because he wants to win. More titles, slams(so that Nadal has less chances of overtaking it) etc..

·
Registered
21,395 Posts
It's tough to play against strong opposition, not everyone is naturally gifted in the mental department, there's only so much a psychologist can fix and it definitely won't be enough in this case :shrug:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's tough to play against strong opposition, not everyone is naturally gifted in the mental department, there's only so much a psychologist can fix and it definitely won't be enough in this case :shrug:
Pretty much. Kinda similar to to what happened to Kuerten from around 2006 when he had to face strong opposition. It happens.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Anyone saying Federer is playing "for fun" at this stage at his career is suffering from delusion of the highest order. Even if you disregard his currently life situation watching any of his matches where he's not cruising (which is often these days) would tell you he is having anything but fun.
Being competitive and annoyed at yourself/officials during play does not mean you're not having fun. I could play with extreme intensity at times and I bet I didn't look like I was having fun, but I sure was.

I'm not saying Federer only plays for fun, but I think that's one reason.

·
Registered
21,395 Posts
Pretty much. Kinda similar to to what happened to Kuerten from around 2006 when he had to face strong opposition. It happens.
Disgusting comment, but expected from a member from this vile, obsessed and evil fanbase.

·
Registered
279 Posts
He definitely needs to see a sports psychologist especially from all these beatings from Nadal. Every time they face Federer knows Nadal is in his head, he plays with fear...!

·
Registered
21,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not even comparable to making fun of someones career ending injury :facepalm:
How about making fun of a near 33 year old player who was also struggling with back injuries last year. Besides Kuerten opted to play after that.

Strong opposition no? :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts