Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care who you are, you have to respect Federer. Maybe its just because I live in the U.S. and am surrounded by a bunch of overpaid athletes who are guilty of so many different kinds of things (murder, ****, DUI, illegal substance, performance enhancement drugs, money laundering, theft, children out of wedlock, etc), but Federer really is something special. When was the last time you heard about Federer getting into any kind of trouble, or being seen cheating on Mirka, or even seen him consuming an alchoholic beverage? Seems to me that Federer has dedicated his life to Tennis, and that truly is something.

With that being said, his dedication and Talent was enough to get him to the point he has gotten to. 12 grand slam titles, 4 consecutive Wimbledon crowns, and the #1 ranking for over 4 years. Now, his #1 ranking and his pursuit of Sampras is in question. The field has gotten better a combination of age and technology have caught up to Roger. His opponents camps are spending hours on scouting his game and are exposing the slightest weaknesses in his game. Is there anything that can be done or is this just mother nature playing its course and the Fed's time has run out?

I think Federer can be on top of the tennis world for about 3-4 more years. There are some adjustments, IMO, that he must make:

1. Don't go for too much every point: We've seen Nadal grind out points against Fed and make him go for the unforced error. Unfortunately for Rafa, hard courts are too fast for him to be able to track down every ball as he can't really go for winners. Instead, he has to just hope that Federer misses in the point. Yesterday we saw Nole play this strategy to perfection. Whats so great about Djokovic's game is that he may end up being the best defender the game has ever seen. He mixes his great defense with a heavy, punishing topspin forehand but unlike the Nadal's and Ferrer's of the world he can mix world class defense with a flat, laser like ground strokes that Federer eventually misses. Federer is probably the best off the ground that the game has ever seen. So why does he go for too much in points against players like Djokovic (although Djokovic may be in a class of his own and he may not have to worry about this with anyone else). To me, theres no question who was the more talented player on Friday night. The problem was that Djokovic had much more patience than Federer. I know Fed doesn't like to play extended rallies but this has got to be the next dimension for him or he's going to struggle since the quality of his opponents is improving and his age is getting up there.

2. Get a coach: No matter how great Federer is and even though there probably isn't anyone in the game that can help him as far as mechanics and improvement, I do think that a coach would be absolutely helpful when it comes to strategizing and game planning. Preparing for opponents with the help of Mirka may not be enough anymore since his talent alone is not getting him by.

3. Come to the net more: There's no question that Federer can beat anyone from the baseline, but why not come to the net more often and add an element of surprise for your opponents to think about? Federer is world class at the net and I think with time this could end up being another huge weapon.

As a diehard tennis and Federer fan, it really is painful to see Federer go out in the way that he did against Djokovic. He looked clearly distracted hopefully he can work things out. To see him go out struggling to win another GS would be a pity.

·
Registered
18,056 Posts
There is a couple of adjustments or fine tuning but more so is Rest,playing hardcore 3-4 yrs has to catchup up with ya somehow!!Give him time to rest up his feet and the man will be back bigger n better!!

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
Federer could do with getting a coach now,new ideas etc, i still think he is the best and will win Wimbledon easy and be in the final of the french

1 - 3 of 3 Posts