·
Registered
16,539 Posts

Nadal didn't seem to mind him when he was his bitch, now it's a different story

Reactions: Orysbestos

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I agree that Roger never liked Nole, but until this year at least, I always thought Nadal and Nole were friendly rivals. Perhaps, due to this year's results, Rafa has changed his attitude towards Nole?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nadal seems okay with Djokovic. Kind of obvious it's not the same with Federer though.
Nadal is too polite to do to Djokovic what Federer does. But he tends to shower his top opponents with praise and warm words - Federer, Murray, whohaveyou - while he never does with Djokovic.

Djokovic, by contrast, tries so hard to be liked, to a point that is almost embarassing: after beating Nadal in a tourney earlier this year, for example, he thought he had to call Nadal the "greatest of all time and a very close friend".

·
F***ing have it
17,660 Posts
So :shrug: ? JMaC and Jimbo tantrums were disgiusting, but top tennis players making love to each other anytime they can is so :zzz: I don't want a boxing ring but i don't want a "frienemies" love story either.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Nadal is too polite to do to Djokovic what Federer does. But he tends to shower his top opponents with praise and warm words - Federer, Murray, whohaveyou - while he never does with Djokovic.

Djokovic, by contrast, tries so hard to be liked, to a point that is almost embarassing: after beating Nadal in a tourney earlier this year, for example, he thought he had to call Nadal the "greatest of all time and a very close friend".
That’s not true. Nadal gives Djokovic a lot of praise. Maybe you haven’t been paying attention.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s not true. Nadal gives Djokovic a lot of praise. Maybe you haven’t been paying attention.
OK, after Wimbledon he said Djokovic is the #1 and not bothered by his (Nadal's) game. But this was purely factual. It doesn't feel the same like with the other players. For example Andy Murray, where Nadal said 50 times how sorry he was that Murray lost (to him, Nadal) and what a great champion and dangerous opponent Murray was who one day would surely.....

But maybe it's also just my impression.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I think its the playing to the crowd despite the crowd not being on his side

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
liking someone is so overrated. get your tittles, that's all it matters.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
I think it is clear Nadal's opinion has changed about him, maybe an element of sour grapes but also Djokovic carries himself differently now. As Egreen said Djokovic is an extrovert, I don't think it is unusual for introverts to be put off by the perosnality of an extrovert, particularly one that is such an attention seeker. When someone forces it that much it usually has the opposite effect than they intend.

It was easy to like Djokovic before this year, despite his family. He was alwaus very gracious in defeat. Now he is making it very difficult, as we saw yesterday with his play to the crowd and extremely poor reaction to Federer's mishit at 5-3 in the fifth.

·
RAVE ON
19,728 Posts
I can see Uncle Tony and Roger's dad hanging out. Djokovic's parents? Sorry, I doubt anyone would want to spend time with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it's easier to like people who you beat. They're not (as much of a) threat to you, so you can appreciate their talent and them as a person without feeling like you're potentially harming yourself by doing so.

When the guy is beating you on a consistent basis, it's much, much harder to genuinely like him. You worry that, if you do, you might accept that he's better than you, and you just can't do that and continue to be competitive.

I think Roger doesn't like Nole because of his family's statements, but I think Rafa is more concerned about being able to compete with him successfully. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Novak as a person or a player... he's the most gracious of the top guys in showing appreciation for an opponent's good shots, his demeanor when he won the Fed match was excellent (merely put his fists up and then walked to the net with a "Great match, man" look on his face, waiting til Fed was gone to let loose with his celebration), and if he's a little desperate to be liked, that's a flaw that at least doesn't hurt anyone.

Like some others said, though, it may also be a difference between introverts and extroverts. Novak seems to be the only extroverted one, and that personality can sometimes grate on an introvert's nerves.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think it is clear Nadal's opinion has changed about him, maybe an element of sour grapes but also Djokovic carries himself differently now. As Egreen said Djokovic is an extrovert, I don't think it is unusual for introverts to be put off by the perosnality of an extrovert, particularly one that is such an attention seeker. When someone forces it that much it usually has the opposite effect than they intend.

It was easy to like Djokovic before this year, despite his family. He was alwaus very gracious in defeat. Now he is making it very difficult, as we saw yesterday with his play to the crowd and extremely poor reaction to Federer's mishit at 5-3 in the fifth.
I didn't get that Rafa disliked Nole at all. After the Murray match, Rafa joked about how Nole had beaten him the last 5 times they played! He said, he's trying to come-up with a solution?

I agree with everyone about Nole being a little too desperate to be liked by fans in particular.

Yeah, I think he's an extrovert, and I can see how his personality would grate on Roger if not Rafa.

Rafa seems a little bit more fun-loving than Roger. I remember seeing a clip of Rafa dancing to La Bamba. It was just a hoot.

Plus... the fact Rafa has been posing in his underwear lately, I think he might be a little more extroverted than Roger!

He's just not quite as extroverted as Nole.

3,728 Posts
i dont get why roger hates nole

without nole rafa would be GOAT

or at least have most titles

nole saved tennis

1 - 20 of 150 Posts