Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After his loss to Novak Djokovic in the Rome final, Roger Federer told media members that he still believes Rafael Nadal is the Roland Garros favorite.

Despite the fact that the king of clay has lost more matches on clay in 2015 than he has in any other season since 2003, Federer believes that Nadal’s dominant lifetime record of 66-1 at Roland Garros makes him the man to beat in Paris.

"You cannot take away the past 10 years," said Federer, according to ATPWorldTour.com. "It’s going to be best-of-five sets. We know how tough Rafa is physically and mentally. He is the favorite still to me. Novak at this point probably has to win, with the results he's shown this year. It feels similar to 2011 when he didn't lose the whole year.”

He added: "Maybe Rafa isn’t having the same success as before but nevertheless that remains the situation for me. But it's all talk because in the end his racquet's going to do the talking."

Djokovic, meanwhile, is confident and using his recent hot streak to bolster his confidence and as motivation.

He was asked just how high his confidence was after today’s final in Rome:

“As high as it can be,” the world No. 1 said. “I played two tournaments in clay courts, I’ve won both, won against all the top players in those events. Obviously Grand Slam is a completely different tournament – two weeks, best of five, obviously more motivation for all the players being there to win against you on the center court, but I’m looking forward to it. That’s the tournament I’ve been preparing for.”
http://www.tennisnow.com/News/2015/May/Federer-Nadal-is-Still-Roland-Garros-Favorite.aspx

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
So Federer's words are only hopes for Nadull-tards these days?

He can say whatever he want but that will not change outcome of Nadal's matches. Dull is one tough draw away from retirement.

·
Registered
622 Posts
He might be right but I question his objectivity. This is the first year Rafa's shown true weakness, i.e. shanking/confidence. If Djokovic gets knocked out early somehow, I'd say Rafa has a good chance. In a Nadal/Nole final I think Nole will win in 4.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
he is correct this time.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I'm sorry wtf. No rafa is not the favourite. The recent past is a better indicator than one to 10 years ago.

And another thing, he won Istanbul, got knocked out of Madrid by Monfils and dominated by Djokovic in Rome. His confidence is "the highest it can be"??
It must be a very low ceiling if he's being realistic. Otherwise he's delusional.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
:haha: I was wondering where the 2nd Clay court tournament came from for federer and posted anyway. Failpost preserved for posterity.I'll take my lumps.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I disagree. He didn't win a masters 1000 clay tourney for the first time. Shanking all over the place. Soderling beat him as well. I'd give him a 30% chance of winning.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Federer understands. That is all.

Take it from a man who has lost to Nadal 5 times at RG. Djokovic himself has lost 6 times to Nadal at RG.

All of these amazing results from Djokovic do not eradicate the last 10 years of history at Roland Garros. Nadal is virtually a myth at RG; he's barely believable.

The foreplay is over.

NADAL FANS - keep the faith.

DJOKOVIC FANS - exercise caution and underestimate nobody, even Clayray.

THE REST - good luck.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh, it's this time of the year again. Is it the 5th time? Jeez, kids really have a difficult time learning...

Of course, Federer is right. Only clueless kids think Djokovic is favorite. They can't seem to comprehend that unless Nadal drops into oblivion(i.e. outside top 50, few matches cuz of injuries etc...), he would always be the favorite ahead of Djokovic, at least before Djokovic actually manages to win it(at least 1 time...).

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Oh, it's this time of the year again. Is it the 5th time? Jeez, kids really have a difficult time learning...

Of course, Federer is right. Only clueless kids think Djokovic is favorite. They can't seem to comprehend that unless Nadal drops into oblivion(i.e. outside top 50, few matches cuz of injuries etc...), he would always be the favorite ahead of Djokovic, at least before Djokovic actually manages to win it(at least 1 time...).
That doesn't make any sense. Favorite is based on form, not just results. See avatar.

Only hope for Nadal is voodoo or astrology or whatever tennis_commentat babbles about

·
Registered
982 Posts
Either Fed is trying to ease the pressure from Nole so he can win and keep his 17 comfortably ahead
or he is genuinely worried that Djoko's legacy will shadow his own and he much prefers it that only he and Rafa remain with a career slam and naturally further cement his own status as the greatest

Either way, Djoko's words were much more interesting

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
:facepalm: :facepalm:

Federer needs to stop embarrassing himself with this Nadaltard/Novak hating comments. The previous one was in bad taste and more than enough, already. This is just over the top and reeks of desperation.

Especially after an embarrassing loss in the Rome final.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. Favorite is based on form, not just results. See avatar.

Only hope for Nadal is voodoo or astrology or whatever tennis_commentat babbles about
Usually, sure. This is not the usual case though, 1. Nadal's record on Chatrier... is a joke, 2. He's beaten Djokovic numerous times there (even twice when Djokovic was "favorite" in the past 4 years), 3. Because of 2, it's very likely that Djokovic will have troubles crossing the finish line...(aka mental baggage) 4. It's best of 5, which favors Nadal because he is mentally tougher, especially when all kids consider him underdog (essentially doing the job for him and the uncle).

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
So Federer's words are only hopes for Nadull-tards these days?

He can say whatever he want but that will not change outcome of Nadal's matches. Dull is one tough draw away from retirement.
It's not even that. Watch Murray and NoleTards completely lose it over this statement as well. Of course, Rafa fans attack Roger regardless of what he says. Haha. Again, another non-issue here. Rafa is always the favorite to reach the second week of FO. After that, it's all his luck of the draw.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Federer needs to stop embarrassing himself with this Nadaltard/Novak hating comments. The previous one was in bad taste and more than enough, already. This is just over the top and reeks of desperation.

Especially after an embarrassing loss in the Rome final.

There you go. Some folks make everything about Nole. I personally picked Nole to win the FO without dropping a set. I think it's his time. But Roger did not insult Nole here. He is going by numbers. Besides ... Mary Joe Fernandez agrees with him, and that's all that matters.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts