Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He lost early at both Monte Carlo and Madrid and he won some Mickey Mouse Tournament in Turkey with zero competition and he still got taken to 3 sets in a TON of matches.

Fed is so screwed for Roland Garros.

At this point he can't afford to sit back and vacation. He must play Rome and try to get into form or he's not even a top 10 choice to win RG. If he doesn't play Rome he might as well skip RG to practice on grass.

Fed at Wimbledon (in form with a ton of luck and a minor miracle) might be the only person to stop Nole getting the calendar slam this year.

thoughts?

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Yes, he should play Rome.

·
Premium Member
8,488 Posts
Federer should skip the rest of the clay season and start preparing for Wimbledon. He needs to work on his poor forehand otherwise he ain't ever winning a slam.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I'm not bothered about how he does at RG. He needs to peak for the big one, Wimbledon. I'd love to see another Djoker vs Roger final because it doesn't look like Stronga is gonna make much of a splash this year :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, he pretty much unofficially said he was going to skip Rome to get more Mirka in bed fun time after Madrid.

But he lost his first match in Madrid so...

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Apart from Indian Wells where he was very good, Federer is having a terrible year in big tournaments, so indeed I think he should play Rome...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
He lost early at both Monte Carlo and Madrid and he won some Mickey Mouse Tournament in Turkey with zero competition and he still got taken to 3 sets in a TON of matches.

Fed is so screwed for Roland Garros.

At this point he can't afford to sit back and vacation. He must play Rome and try to get into form or he's not even a top 10 choice to win RG. If he doesn't play Rome he might as well skip RG to practice on grass.

Fed at Wimbledon (in form with a ton of luck and a minor miracle) might be the only person to stop Nole getting the calendar slam this year.

thoughts?
It's not about form, his play is uneffective on clay now, he will start winning again on grass, and the form from clay won't help him in that. He can still make a QF at RG with a good draw, it's not about rankings for now, but he's putting himself under pressure in summer, that's true. He's going to stay in Top 2 till NA hard courts at least (only other possibility is 1 clayray to conquer them all).

·
Registered
767 Posts
not giving money enough

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
I guess for some match play, but his days on clay are behind him. I don't expect too much from French Open.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
He'll get bounced there too, and will be lucky to make it through the first week at RG.

He should just do what Murray did in 2013 and forget about clay tbh.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
No, he doesn't. With the racquet/style change and advancing age you cannot expect Federer to jump/run like a monkey while putting massive topspin on the forehand... which are more or less all necessary for successful play on clay. Look at his record for the past 2-3 years on clay... it's been getting worse and worse... no point in playing Rome, better spend some time with family.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
he shouldnt have played istanbul...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts