Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/national-sport/federer-murray-serve-is-not-so-bad-1-7348676

Roger Federer has refused to launch an all-out assault on the shaky second serve he believes Andy Murray "covers very well" in Friday's Wimbledon semi-final.

Federer was urged to "take advantage" of Murray's second-serve shortcomings by three-time Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick, to keep his bid for a record eighth SW19 title alive.

Swiss second seed Federer eased past Gilles Simon in straight sets to book his 10th Wimbledon semi-final and a meeting with Murray, who coasted past Vasek Pospisil.

World number two Federer insisted Murray's second serve "can't be that bad", ahead of Friday's clash, a re-run of Wimbledon's 2012 final.

"We'll see," said Federer, when asked if he would attack Murray's second serve. "He's beaten me before with that second serve; it can't be that bad.

"He's beaten so many guys so many times. You know what I mean? It's something he covers very well: he's fast on his feet, he reads it well.

"He's one of the greatest return players we have in the game, and he's got a great first serve. He came through convincingly again, so he must be playing well.

"Plus he won Queen's; he's in full flight right now."

Roddick told the BBC that Murray can ill afford to repeat the 64 per cent first-serve level produced against Pospisil when facing Federer.

Murray won just 56 per cent of second-serve points against his Canadian quarter-final opponent, but still prevailed 6-4 7-5 6-4.

The 28-year-old is unlikely to cope with such low statistics against Federer, who dispatched world number 13 Simon with ruthless efficiency, 6-3 7-5 6-2.

Federer set a record 116 consecutive service holds en route to his classy victory over 12th seed Simon, eclipsing the 111 mark set by Australia's Wayne Arthurs in 1999.

"It's nit-picking for sure, but the court position that's allowed (for an opponent) when he's able to stick a return is something that Murray's going to have to worry about against Roger Federer," saisd Roddick.

"He's someone who can take advantage of it: he's not scared to run around and can commit to hitting that forehand early.

"And then if Murray hits a good serve he can adjust and then chip it back and still be neutral in the point, so that will be something to watch."

Federer lost a five-set thriller to Novak Djokovic in last year's Wimbledon final, that record eighth title just out of reach.

The 33-year-old pipped Murray to the 2012 Wimbledon title, before the Dunblane native gained some revenge by beating Federer to the Olympic title later that summer.

Murray has restored top form after back surgery, but ran out of steam in his last meeting with Federer, at November's ATP World Tour Finals at London's O2 Arena.

Federer prevailed 6-0 6-1 but expects Murray to be in vastly different shape this time around.

"In the World Tour Finals, he came in tired," said Federer.

"He had won three tournaments back-to-back; he left everything out there making the World Tour Finals.

"I think when I played him he was a bit cooked, to be honest. It was not the Andy that usually shows up."

Federer admitted he was pleased to claim that stunning lengthy service-hold record, but also conceded he was "relieved" the hot streak came to an end against Simon.

"I've heard of it but then again I don't keep count when I'm out there," said Federer of moving past Arthurs' record. "I'm just trying to focus on the next service game, on the next point, the next serve. I'm happy it lasted as long as it did.

"At the same time, I'm also relieved that I did get a break.

"I guess we're not going to talk about that anymore and I can just focus on the normal things, not whether I'm going to hold serve or not. Because holding serve is not going to really do much for now.

"It's been a great streak. It goes to show what I'm doing off the baseline on my serve, or serve-volleying, the way I'm hitting it and placing it seems to work, especially on the grass now."
Mind games ahead or interesting objective analysis of Murray's game and his form last few matches and year or so?

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
What mind games? He's telling the truth. Murray have a really really weak 2nd serve but then again he has one of the strongest returns ever, so it pretty much evens out.

·
Registered
740 Posts
right.

Murray >>>> Nabull

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Better than Baldito's one that's for sure :superlol:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Haha this is not mind game... like what he said Andy might have slow 2nd serve but he cover it up very well.

Will Fed exploit Andy's 2nd serve, Yes!
But will he have a chance of loads of 2nd serve to exploit? we don't know because Andy is a very good tactician he will make sure that 1st serve percentage very high.

·
Premium Member
62,010 Posts
I'm disappointed the article refers to 116 holds as a record. Karlovic has the record with 129. This should be fairly well known.

As for Murray's 2nd serve, I'm sure he's going to win a lot of points on it.

·
The Last Mohican
24,520 Posts
Yeah well Fed simply sees through Andy's mindgames. He knows that his supposed shoulder injury is greatly exaggerated. I'm sure Andy will be firing 135mph first serves. :zzz:

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Currently my friend, currently. Did you see Bald's serve at Wimbledon? It was Volandri levels of shite.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Old man playing mind games. That is all he has left.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Clay skew can be found.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Grass second serve points won:

Federer 59%
Nadal 59%
Murray 56%

Djokovic 55%

Hard second serve points won:

Nadal 58%
Federer 57%
Djokovic 56%
Murray 52%

Clay second serve points won:

Nadal 56%
Federer 55%
Djokovic 54%
Murray 49%

But problem cannot be found :confused::confused::confused:

Clown owned. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
62,010 Posts
Old man playing mind games. That is all he has left.
Imagine you're Federer and you're asked by a journalist whether or not you'll attack Murray's 2nd serve, like Roddick has stated he should.

How would you phrase your answer so as not to be thought to play mind games? That is, assuming you think something like that is possible. Maybe you think playing mind games is unavoidable?

·
The Last Mohican
24,520 Posts

Federer 59%
Nadal 59%
Murray 56%

Djokovic 55%

Nadal 58%
Federer 57%
Djokovic 56%
Murray 52%

Nadal 56%
Federer 55%
Djokovic 54%
Murray 49%

That doesn't mean shit. You're simply using a base statistic and arguing causality based on... your mind.

Those serve stats and especially 2nd serve stats simply result from Nadull having a solid ground game. Nadull's serve is simply passable, and that's where it ends. Nadull's entire success is due to his ground game, so of course his statistics on winning points on serve follow suit.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
That doesn't mean shit. You're simply using a base statistic and arguing causality based on... your mind.

Those serve stats and especially 2nd serve stats simply result from Nadull having a solid ground game. Nadull's serve is simply passable, and that's where it ends. Nadull's entire success is due to his ground game, so of course his statistics on winning points on serve follow suit.
I agree that Nadal's second serve is nothing very special, as someone like Federer obviously has a superior second serve. However, his second serve is passable ant thus far superior to someone like Murphy, which was my original argument if you read my original post. Nadal's second serve is very difficult to attack, so he can almost always start the point at neutral and use his ground game to grind opponents down. However, Murphy's second serve is an actual liability: good returners can consistently punish him on that first shot that is much more difficult against Nadal

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

Federer 59%
Nadal 59%
Murray 56%

Djokovic 55%

Nadal 58%
Federer 57%
Djokovic 56%
Murray 52%

Nadal 56%
Federer 55%
Djokovic 54%
Murray 49%

Touché. I wasn't saying that Nadal's second serve is worse than Murray's, just that Nadal playing so often on clay made it look better than it actually is. I realise now how stupid I was as playing more clay matches should actually be detrimental to this particular stat. Gotta say I'm surprised to see Nadal's second serve win percentage is so much higher than Murray's on hard.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
% stats are rubbish, Nadal looks like a serving god in isolation but in reality it was his insane baseline game that gave him such good numbers

likewise in isolation Murray's serve serve is rubbish but his exceptional baseline game gives him impressive numbers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts