Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was always a match with barely any footage, very sparse on highlights, and since I didn't see it live, I'm gonna give this a go....

But this is one Federer loss I could take no joy from (not that I do much anymore, anyway. I enjoy the old man still schooling youngsters).

I don't like Millman touching a slam QF stage for one, Federer wouldn't have won the tournament anyway, and Djokovic wasn't made to work for it much (a sadly recurring happening in the 18-19 slams for him), as we were denied a Djokovic-Federer clash. So really not my prefered outcome at all.

Reactions: ogre

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
FWIW, I've seen Rogie twice in person, this match was the first one and a real downer... Then I saw him beat Nagal (not Nadal) in the first round of the 2019 USO!! That 2018 USO 4th round match really depressed me a lot at the time, but I'm long over it now!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
FWIW, I've seen Rogie twice in person, this match was the first one and a real downer... Then I saw him beat Nagal (not Nadal) in the first round of the 2019 USO!! That 2018 USO 4th round match really depressed me a lot at the time, but I'm long over it now!!
I remember after he beat Nagal the interviewer (can't remember his name) asked Roger if he thought he was playing Nadal at one point given the similarity of names. Federer answered "no" quickly with a little bit of agitation. This was understandable considering how poorly he had played at times. Also he probably had already heard that joke multiple times before the match once the pairings came out.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Wasn't it the match when Federer complained about the "humid heat" and was atrocious after leading 6-3, 5-3 and losing the 2nd set 5-7.
After that the remaining 2 sets became just formalities... Federer unable to break Millman anymore, though the 3rd set was very tight, losing TB in 7-9.

That was one of the memorable matches Federer not choking away, but getting hampered physically and this infesting his whole game to FH/BH, volleys and the serve.
It was interesting to see.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't it the match when Federer complained about the "humid heat" and was atrocious after leading 6-3, 5-3 and losing the 2nd set 5-7.
After that the remaining 2 sets became just formalities... Federer unable to break Millman anymore, though the 3rd set was very tight, losing TB in 7-9.

That was one of the memorable matches Federer not choking away, but getting hampered physically and this infesting his whole game to FH/BH, volleys and the serve.
It was interesting to see.

Yes, seing him wilt away in the heat wasn't nice. And it made Millman's QF spot possible.

None the less, any time you lose 40-15 on serve serving out a set, as Fed did here (Fed special), you fucked up.

Reactions: Djoker and MWW

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Yeah crazy humidity that night, apparently Fed had to get checked offcourt before doing his press conference.

He certainly dosen't like playing the night session much at Ashe anymore when Dimi took him out in similar manner in 2019. And he struggled in the early rounds in 2017 v Tiafoe and someone else before Delpo did the KO blow.

Millman of course very close to knocking him out at AO 18 months back so could've had two slam wins over him in his career. Think he's one Fed would be keen to avoid in the first week at Wimbledon this year.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
I remember this one well. Millman's resilience paid off as Federer started to make poorer and poorer judgments as the match went on, while Millman took very calculated risks. Humidity was certainly a factor but the matchup difficulty cannot be denied because Millman also pushed Federer to the brink at the AO.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Federer was quite poor from the outset. Very subpar serving in the first two sets forced him to expend way too much effort in the heat and his rally game wilted just at the precipice of a two-set lead. Fed mostly fixed his serve afterwards but it was too late as he couldn't bullcrap his way to a break without groundstrokes and Millman had the gall to hit clutch serves in the tiebreak. Actually Fed did BS a break in the fourth but instantly squandered it and pissed away the second tiebreak as well, think at this point he was far too weary to keep going.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
This was the biggest shitshow of a match Federer has ever played. Led 6:3 5:4 served for 2:0 got broken, served to stay in the match, lost the set. Has to play 2 tiebreaks because he was unable to break Milkman’s weak ass serve and made 2 double faults in both tiebreaks. After this match I wanted federer to call it a career. This was officially the moment where his 2018 season went from mediocre to complete garbage

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was the biggest shitshow of a match Federer has ever played. Led 6:3 5:4 served for 2:0 got broken, served to stay in the match, lost the set. Has to play 2 tiebreaks because he was unable to break Milkman’s weak ass serve and made 2 double faults in both tiebreaks. After this match I wanted federer to call it a career. This was officially the moment where his 2018 season went from mediocre to complete garbage
up 40-15, too..

Reactions: Tennis Passion
1 - 20 of 30 Posts