Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/1031125/Roger-Federer-announcement-clay-court-French-Open

Mainly this article deals with answering a reporter's question about whether he'll play on clay in 2019, to which he says to stop asking and he'll decide later in November when on vacation after he plays the London event (held November 11-18).

As for Paris in November 2018, Rogie says... "But Federer says a decision on whether he will play in Paris won’t be made until after his hometown event in Basel.

"Now I have Basel, London and maybe Paris,” he said.

“For Paris, I'll make my decision after Basel.”"

Conclusion: Rogie just might play Paris after all, but he won't decide to play it or not for sure until after Basel is done!!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it was mainly assumed he wouldn't, but, he'll decide after Basel, meaning there's a chance he could. Rogie could've said outright, "I'm not playing in Paris!", but he left it open!!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
When did he last play back to back tournaments?

If there was a week's gap between Paris and WTF like there should be then probably.

Can only see it happening if he bombs out early in Basle which dosen't look likely unless Coric is in the draw!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rafa's never won Bercy, so Rogie's 1 up there, Djokovic a bunch of Brecy titles... But, if Rogie plays Basel and Paris back-to-back weeks, that's NOT good for him, better week off, Basel, 2 weeks off and London!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
When did he last play back to back tournaments?

If there was a week's gap between Paris and WTF like there should be then probably.

Can only see it happening if he bombs out early in Basle which dosen't look likely unless Coric is in the draw!
Stuttgart/Halle and he was out of gas by the end of it. Agree that it seems very unlikely unless he goes out early in Basle. Even then not sure it would make much sense as he isnt playing for points an has to be rested for the finals. Maybe he thinks it might be a weak draw (Jack Sock !) and a good chance for another masters ?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Stuttgart/Halle and he was out of gas by the end of it. Agree that it seems very unlikely unless he goes out early in Basle. Even then not sure it would make much sense as he isnt playing for points an has to be rested for the finals. Maybe he thinks it might be a weak draw (Jack Sock !) and a good chance for another masters ?
Sorry yeah I remember as soon as I posted. On grass and after his annual two month clay hiatus so just about do able at his age.

Basle, Paris and WTF is 3 weeks continual so I just don't see it tbh.

·
Premium Member
9,051 Posts
Strange decision.... to pile tourneys when he actually is in a state of fitness where he has trouble to recover from two or tree matches.

His level has decreased from first round to following rounds in Wimbledon, Cincinnati USO and Shanghai, and he was shining in Laver Cup on few matches event not sure matches is what he needs.

Plus (and even if Bercy is not a Tennis Venue and court is built every year and speed and bounce can change) Bercy is slow low bounce surface which is not favouring his game when arriving from fast surface like Basel.

IMO at 37 he should enter a Connors like agenda with focusing on places where his game is favoured and skip the rest, Race for #1 is a Dom Qixote's Mill

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Federer can’t handle back to back tournaments anymore. No way he plays Paris right after Basel. It seems like he can’t even handle back to back matches anymore, if Shanghai is anything to go by. His fitness is horrible now.

The only way Federer plays Paris is if he goes out early in Basel, which wouldn’t surprise me, considering his piss poor level of play. But considering the state of the tour, he will still probably limp his way to at least the SFs of Basel, which means no Paris Bercy.

·
F***ing have it
17,470 Posts
Only if he loses early in Basel, before SF ?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Only if he loses early in Basel, before SF ;
Now that DelPo and Goffin are out for the year, along with Roger the other top 4 seeds are Zverev, Cilic and Tsitsipas I think going by the entry list.

That means, before the SF, he could face any of Wawrinka, Millman, Medvedev and even Shapovalov I wouldn’t be entirely confident he could get past, yes even at his home tournament and on the surface suited to him.

This isn’t meant to be critical of him, as I’m a big Federer supporter, but Shanghai, like other recent tournaments has shown that the 2017 semi-invincibility level isn’t there.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Agree with some of the sentiment here. Fed only goes to Paris if he has an early exit in Basel.

Federer's stamina has weakened considerably since last season. His serve is not as effective in recent matches either. He used to get tons of free points and numerous short service games. Those easy holds helped him maintain some of his energy going through tournaments. As we have just seen this week and from Roger himself in his comments over the past year, he needs time to recover from the matches. The GSs are his best opportunity for recovery times but the rest of the tour is physically demanding for a 37 yr old. Even one of the fittest 37 yr olds on Earth.

I think he is starting to get frustrated with his inability to perform at levels he expects from himself. His energy levels and focus slowly diminish each week especially after playing back to back days. Its good to see other fans are noticing this drop in performance and it's not just me. The media and commentators seem to treat him as if he is going to play forever.....sadly this is not the case. At some point, there will be a shift from BAU to giving him credit just for being out there and fighting on tour.

Federer has stated that he wants to play for another year or two but stating it and living with disappointing results in the future are 2 different things. Will Federer be content with making semis and or worse over the next year or so? I don't think even he knows what he will do if his results aren't positive.

Many fans don't want to see Federer losing consistently to lesser players and would rather see him retire than relive that horrible stretch of 2013 again.

It is an interesting time which all of us fans, whether Fed, Rafa , Djoker or Murray fans, have to come to terms with in the coming years.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Agree with some of the sentiment here. Fed only goes to Paris if he has an early exit in Basel.

Federer's stamina has weakened considerably since last season. His serve is not as effective in recent matches either. He used to get tons of free points and numerous short service games. Those easy holds helped him maintain some of his energy going through tournaments. As we have just seen this week and from Roger himself in his comments over the past year, he needs time to recover from the matches. The GSs are his best opportunity for recovery times but the rest of the tour is physically demanding for a 37 yr old. Even one of the fittest 37 yr olds on Earth.
I know Federer is 37 so he is bound to have issues with his stamina. But I hope he tries something new & different in 2019 to at least try to have better stamina. Like maybe a new fitness coach, try different training methods, different diet etc. I hate to see him go out on a whimper. He deserves a great end to his career.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts