Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trend continues going down

Level from Fed since 2017 (100% means highest in this timeframe)

1st Hardcourt swing (AO-IW-MIA) : 90-100%
Grasscourt swing (STU-HA-WIM) : 85-95%
2nd Hardcourt swing (CAN-USO) : 75-85%
Pre WTF HC swing (SHA-BAS) : 85-90%
ATP World Tour Finals 2017 : 80-85%

1st HC swing (AO-ROT-IW-MIA) : 80-85%
Grasscourt swing (STU-HA-WIM) : 80-85%
Cincinnati : 75-80%

I think he will keep this up, for a professional athlete a difference between 36 and 37 years is huge, the margins are so small, losing ever bit of reflexes, hand eye coordination etc can mean alot.

I think his slam winning days are almost over, im not going to say 100%, but probably 99% over.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
You are being awfully generous with your 2018 performance ratings.

For me it's something like this:

1st Hardcourt swing (AO-IW-MIA) : 90-95%
Grasscourt swing (STU-HA-WIM) : 85-95%
2nd Hardcourt swing (CAN-USO) : 65-70%
Pre WTF HC swing (SHA-BAS) : 85-90%
ATP World Tour Finals 2017 : 75-80%

1st HC swing (AO-ROT-IW-MIA) : 70-75%
Stuttgart :85-90%
Grasscourt swing (HA-WIM) : 65-75%
Cincinnati : 55-65%

The only tournament in 2018 where he played at a very good level was Stuttgart. I was very pleased with his level against both Kygrios and Raonic, who both played quite well. But other than that, 2018 has been mostly average from Federer, with a few good moments of brilliance in a match, but overall quite average.

·
Banned
1,562 Posts
2017:

AO-IW-MIA: 100%
Grass: 90%
MONT: 75% (less in the final)
USO: 85%
Shanghai: 90%
YEC: 85% (less in the final)

2018:

AO: 85%
IW: 85%
MIA: 80%
Grass: 80% (after injuring himself against Anderson, 60%)
CIN: 60%

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I think your rating for 2018 is too high. He is nowhere near what he was in 2017, he is almost trying to be too aggressive.
No it's too low. If he really did drop to 80% of his level he wouldn't be reaching finals. I always find it funny when people write that the players played at 10%, 20%, 30% etc. If they truly did that they would lose a match with each set to love. A player at that level can't just drop 20% and still get to finals. He'd probably not even be a top 100 player.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I think his grass season in 17 was equal if not even better than the first hc-swing in total.

Aussie Open: started at 65%, was then suddenly at 85% against berdych and 95% in the final set against nadal after the break.
Indian Wells: 100% his best tournament since Cincinnati 2015
Miami: 85% had a couple of tough three setters but was on fire in the final again, yet not as good as in Indian Wells
Halle: 85% didn’t lose a set crushed zverev in the final
Wimbledon 100%: hands down winning the slam with the smallest of margins without dropping a set is just an amazing achievement. Even though he was sick in the first two rounds, he basically annihilated everyone in his way.
Canada: 70% terrible matches vs. Ferrer and Haase, decent vs. Bautista Agut, sadly got injured just when he was about to fight back in the final.
US Open: 50%: let’s face it: the back injury severely hampered every aspect of the game. A fit federer wouldn’t need 5 sets to beat the likes of tiafoe or youzhny. Maybe went up to 70% as the tournament went in but that’s not enough to beat a motivated Del Potro.
Shanghai: started slow at maybe 70% started playing at 90% in the second set vs. Del Potro and was at full peak 100% in the final absolutely dominating nadal once again while only losing 8 points on serve.
Basel: started at 90% then something was off and he needed to battle against mannarino. Then he was at his best again crushing goffin and fighting off del Potro overcoming his huge choke in set 1 where he was break up Twice
WTF: Never more than 65% got through his matches with crappy play, then suddenly goffin started serving like Karlovic in the second set. I think fed was also tired and didn’t really put all of his effort into the third set. Even though he had chances to break back in both sets.

Aussie Open: 90% You never had the feeling he could lose any match unlike in 2017.
Rotterdam: 90% People are too harsh with him on this one. Only lost one set (he had 5 break points prior to this and one bad service game) had the pressure of becoming No1 again and destroyed dimitrov in the final. He was really good there, especially his ground game. Better than at the Australian Open.
Indian Wells: 80% rain delay annoyed him, was terrible against delbonis and mediocre against coric who really could’ve won. Of course the final where fed was playing at 95% again in the third set probably still hurts him.
Stuttgart: 90% pretty good performance aside from the first set against Mischa. Also good returning against big servers. Very promising
Halle‘: 75% suddenly his return wasn’t working as well anymore just like his forehand. Both things cost him the final in the end.
Wimbledon: 90% with a Rapid decline to about 60% in the fourth set against Anderson. Was it really a knee injury that hampered him there?
Cincinnati: 65% enough against the likes of Gojowczyk Mayer barely-back-on-track wawrinka and injured goffin. Certainly not enough against djokovic. Returns and Volleys off all week.
Hopefully he can strike back at the us open. Might be his last chance to realistically win it. Would also be great to do it 10 years after his last title. Maybe he is at a stage where a slower court suits him better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts