Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or get a 2 hander, its his only real weakness, hes so afraid to hit that damn thing so many times and sometimes he tries to go for it or over time it, i just think thats why hes losing, i mean in the past these close matches hes gotten a bit lucky, but now his backhand is catching up wtih him.

and i do admit he cant keep up the high speed footwork all the time now where he could do it eveyr point back then

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
He should try to play left handed on that side... 2 forehands in his arsenal would be a killer :cool:

:retard:

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
in his match against gonzo he made 30 ufs with bh and only one winner with bh

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
BP conversion rate is his biggest problem, I feel. He doesn't go for it anymore, it looks as if he expects the opponent to make an UE. Perhaps that was the case in the past, but he should seriously consider trying to actually win them again. :cool:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know right he uses the slice too much on the bp's, 0-40 today in 3rd set and didnt convert, he needs to not think so much and just go with the flow. im up for hire if u need me fed

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
Federer's slice backhand > Federer's topspin backhand.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
Can you imagine Haas with a double hander? Or Gaudio? Gasquet? Kuerten?

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Can you imagine Haas with a double hander? Or Gaudio? Gasquet? Kuerten?
No, no no no yuck! Then again I love Nalbandian's fierce and immaculate double hander (I have a love hate relationship with him for obvious reasons (he has been picking on poor Roger since the juniors, what a bully! Federer always has the :scared: look in his face when he sees David across the net)) :tape:

I like Hewitt's great and consistent double hander, the lobs he creates are marvelous, Hingis, Clijsters and Lleyton have the best feel for the lob with their two handers.

Safin's double hander has always been a thing of beauty and Marco's double hander is a close third behind those of Marat and David's.

However, it would be so unnatural to see Haas or Federer playing two handed backhands. Though I never mind the reverse Hingis has hit in the past some quite exquisite one handed backhands in very critical moments and in that moment of despair come out victorious. ;)

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Justine's backhand is way better than Fed's. She really hits through and get behind the ball, takes it early, bend her legs and has great shoulder rotation. Roger is just too passive with his backhand and does not really seem to want to use his footwork and shoulder rotation to really go after it. Also he could maybe bulk up this shoulder/traps strength and take a firmer grip on that backhand. Nonetheless he has great feel with it but now that his forehand has become a liablity at times too it is time that he work on making the backhand stronger so that he won't feel the need to go for too much on the forehand. Frankly I think that is why his forehand breaks down now more often. He is expecting too much from his forehand. Justine went and made her forehand stronger but when she has too play a truly offensive rally she will NOT run around her backhand and hit forehands. She can belt that backhand incredibly well because she knows it is so damned good.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Justine's backhand is way better than Fed's. She really hits through and get behind the ball, takes it early, bend her legs and has great shoulder rotation. Roger is just too passive with his backhand and does not really seem to want to use his footwork and shoulder rotation to really go after it. Also he could maybe bulk up this shoulder/traps strength and take a firmer grip on that backhand. Nonetheless he has great feel with it but now that his forehand has become a liablity at times too it is time that he work on making the backhand stronger so that he won't feel the need to go for too much on the forehand. Frankly I think that is why his forehand breaks down now more often. He is expecting too much from his forehand. Justine went and made her forehand stronger but when she has too play a truly offensive rally she will NOT run around her backhand and hit forehands. She can belt that backhand incredibly well because she knows it is so damned good.
Hahahahaha.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
I remember all throughout the 2007 AO Fed's topspin backhand was killer. What happened to it? In fact from July 2006-January 2007 his backhand was unbelievable, really peaked for that TMC final against Blake when he hit something like 14 BH winners.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I remember all throughout the 2007 AO Fed's topspin backhand was killer. What happened to it? In fact from July 2006-January 2007 his backhand was unbelievable, really peaked for that TMC final against Blake when he hit something like 14 BH winners.
19 BH winners.

Anyway, I always felt even his topspin BH was good enough for special purposes, i.e. hitting an accurately angled passing shot etc (BH slice is excellent as well). But as a bread and butter shot, which needs to be executed many times in a neutral rally, it just breaks too often. Comparatively, Nadal's FH is a great asset, esp. on clay, but under constant pressure on HC, it often cracks and yields a soft squash ball which floats meekly to the middle of the court, for the opponent to put away. So, both of them have a visible weakness in their game which more and more people are learning how to exploit. Perhaps the days of 1-2 domination are over, or perhaps they are both just tired after a long season. :devil: Whatever.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Still doesn't have the ability of a top backhand to rip a backhand and generate loads of power and winners. Sure its a good backhand for angles, slices and also pretty decent when he has pace coming at it him, but he can't generate that much on his own to dominate opponents.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
He needs to go back and try to get back the backhand he had just 1 year ago, then his backhand was only 2nd to Gasquet, now most great players can outplay him on that side.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
or get a 2 hander, its his only real weakness, hes so afraid to hit that damn thing so many times and sometimes he tries to go for it or over time it, i just think thats why hes losing, i mean in the past these close matches hes gotten a bit lucky, but now his backhand is catching up wtih him.
So retarded :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Still doesn't have the ability of a top backhand to rip a backhand and generate loads of power and winners. Sure its a good backhand for angles, slices and also pretty decent when he has pace coming at it him, but he can't generate that much on his own to dominate opponents.
That's the problem, he can't create as much pace on that wing. I think he just arms it too much and that's why he misses a lot of them long.

I agree with whoever posted that Henin's backhand technique is pretty much perfect.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts