1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Had I not read the transcript of Fed's press conference after his match against Anderson, I'd never have figured that piece of writing is a straight up copy from part of said transcript.

Read up the original: https://www.miamiopen.com/sites/g/files/awvsbl256/files/2019-03/Federer0328.pdf

Bottom line: There's no confirmation whatsoever. As of now this is just clickbait.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They have had a great start to the year but let's see how they do on clay and grass before we put on them on the world team on the laver cup.

I can be ok with dennis as he is around top 20 but Felix is atleast a year away rankings wise to be on the team if he doesn't just tear it up this summer with a bunch of qf or better in each of the tournamets he plays.

But of them have a bunch to catch up their european conterparts in steffi and zverev as both them aren't anywhere nesr top 10 at the momement

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
ATP is so desperate, because retirement of Big3 is closer and closer. Big3 are extending their careers to the limits, helping young tennis players as hard as they can.
But the truth is brutal for mens tennis, gold era is ending. There are no players who could be consistently above the others like Big3, no such an exciting h2h.
Male tennis will be much more random, a lot of winners in big tournaments, top tennis players inconsistent. ATP will lose a lot of fans and viewers.

·
Registered
690 Posts
They have had a great start to the year but let's see how they do on clay and grass before we put on them on the world team on the laver cup.

I can be ok with dennis as he is around top 20 but Felix is atleast a year away rankings wise to be on the team if he doesn't just tear it up this summer with a bunch of qf or better in each of the tournamets he plays.

But of them have a bunch to catch up their european conterparts in steffi and zverev as both them aren't anywhere nesr top 10 at the momement
I don't follow. Shapovalov has been in the Laver Cup back in 2017 already.

Not that I particularly care about the Laver Cup, anyway.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If it's Europe against the world then both Felix & Denis are up there as picks already especially as a few will beg off

Rest of the World: (Live rankings)

6 Kei Nishikori
7 Kevin Anderson
9 Juan Martín del Potro
10 John Isner
15 Milos Raonic
20 Denis Shapovalov
25 Alex de Minaur
29 Frances Tiafoe
33 Félix Auger-Aliassime

I'm also not sure how many people want to see Anderson, Isner, or Raonic. Seems pretty likely that Felix and Shapo would get an invite.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
That would be great! I like Laver Cup, it's a very high level tournament for both experienced and upcoming players.

Laver Cup gets a lot of cynical comments, but in a couple of years when men's tennis looks back and say "where are Federer, Nadal and Djokovic?", the cynics will hopefully be able to acknowledge the value of LC: making tennis more dynamic and global, reaching new fans and keeping the ones who were only interested because of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

·
10,272 Posts
That would be great! I like Laver Cup, it's a very high level tournament for both experienced and upcoming players.

Laver Cup gets a lot of cynical comments, but in a couple of years when men's tennis looks back and say "where are Federer, Nadal and Djokovic?", the cynics will hopefully be able to acknowledge the value of LC: making tennis more dynamic and global, reaching new fans and keeping the ones who were only interested because of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.
Agreed wait to be brilliant and post things that make sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts