Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer, mentally toughest of the Big 4?

• Yes, it's Federer

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • No, Nadal is

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • No, Djokovic is

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • No, Murray is

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • All of them are equally mentally tough

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Just depends on the match/situation

Votes: 17 10.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer is the most aggressive of the big 4. It takes extreme mental toughness to come up with low percentage tennis in tight situations. Other members of the big 4 just return the ball mid court when situations are tight. This doesn't require that much of mental toughness.

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Federer, the mentally weakest of the Big 4? This would be a more sensible debate. Mental toughness: 1st Nadal, 2nd Djokovic, 3rd Fed, 4th Murray.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Even after 2011 and all those looses to Nole Rafa came back. No Federer isnt. If you take Nole and Rafa out of ATP them sure Federer owns everyone.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Even after 2011 and all those looses to Nole Rafa came back. No Federer isnt. If you take Nole and Rafa out of ATP them sure Federer owns everyone.
True..7 straight final loses to djokovic..with 3 straight Grand slam final loses....any other player would have folded and gone into oblivion.
But Nadal came back strongly and ever since 2012 AO final, he defeated djokovic in all 4 grand slam meetings.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Me neither. I can give you that.
I think Federer is strongest one. No one is weak if he can stay at #1 every week for 4 and half years.Djokovic could not do it, Rafa as well.Everyone was talking Novak will break Federer' SF streak. It did not happen. No one knows what will happen in future.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I think Federer is strongest one. No one is weak if he can stay at #1 every week for 4 and half years.Djokovic could not do it, Rafa as well.Everyone was talking Novak will break Federer' SF streak. It did not happen. No one knows what will happen in future.
No Pepi, sorry he is not. He might be mentally stronger than Nole/Murray but not Rafa. I know you love Fed (me too btw) but we have to be honest or realistic here if you wish. I will go as far as saying that Nadal is mentally probably the strongest player in the Open Era.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
to be considered as mentaly toughest i guess he should first be part of the big 4,no

but weak era players cannot be found there :nerner:
17 slams :wavey:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
to be considered as mentaly toughest i guess he should first be part of the big 4,no

but weak era players cannot be found there :nerner:
Ferrer is the strongest mentally, it's extremely hard to take 14 beatings in a row, do not concede and keep vulturing.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
No Pepi, sorry he is not. He might be mentally stronger than Nole/Murray but not Rafa. I know you love Fed (me too btw) but we have to be honest or realistic here if you wish. I will go as far as saying that Nadal is mentally probably the strongest player in the Open Era.
The things b/w Rafa and Federer are not only tennis but much deeper.Thanks to Federer Rafa has this popularity. They promoted for years
their rivalry. Why do you think Fed and Novak played only in SF for years?
They are great rivalry even greater than Nadal/Federer but never been promoted . WHY? As Djokovic said that is the best GS final he has ever played.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I really have to wonder in amazement how this thread came about. Senseless in my opinion. Firstly mental toughness is not a characteristic that all four possess closely enough to generate this kind of debate. Rafa and Djokovic are way up in a different league compared to Fed and Murray who are clearly both mental midgets. To easily put it Federer will not make a men's tennis top 20 list in mental toughness. He won all his titles at a time where his tennis was head and shoulders above everybody else. he never had to grind to win most of those titles. Even when real competition came in form of Nadal and in his later years murray, He was never able to clearly resist them grindically. It really is distasteful to talk about Fed and mental toughness with the same voice. Talk about Nadal, Ferrer, Isner, and a host of others. I will even take the attitude and fighting spirit of Stepanek before fed. Fed really hates a grind or battle. Once his flair fails, he is done! Not really the kind of player that would enjoy a 22 stroke rally in given match of any description. Associate him with something else that will not do a disservice to his illustrous career!

1 - 20 of 217 Posts