Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
On return of serve, you are by definition on the back foot trying to get into a neutral rally. Djokovic and Nadal are superior defenders than Roger, and hence better at working themselves into a position to win the point against the server

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rafa - 44.96%
Novak - 44.39%
Roger - 41.20%

I'd have thought Federer would be even worse than that tbh.

A 3% difference in converting BP's when compared to arguably the two best returners the game has seen isn't too bad. I guess his lack of BP conversion has been happening in high profile matches which makes it look like he's having trouble with BP's when in truth it's not too bad.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
We all know that Nadal and Djokovic are better returners than Federer, and that Federer is not particularly good at converting break points, so this is not surprising.
Break points saved:
7) Roger Federer 67.29%
10) Rafael Nadal 66.66%
20) Novak Djokovic 65.44%

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Obviously Guillermo Coria is the GOAT. Thanks OP.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
This make Rafa even better.
We can all agree that Federer , then Nole are much better servers then Rafa. They get alot more easy points.
So the gap should be much closer. And it isnt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Filter by surface and see that Nadal's return stats are heavily weighted for clay where we all know he plays his best tennis. He is 46th on hard courts.

All of the top break point converters are obviously going to be clay courters because their game is based around winning the majority of their points in rallies rather than relying on their serves.

Federer still awful though. Sampras is even lower. Their games are more serve based.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Filter by surface and see that Nadal's return stats are heavily weighted for clay where we all know he plays his best tennis. He is 46th on hard courts.

All of the top break point converters are obviously going to be clay courters because their game is based around winning the majority of their points in rallies rather than relying on their serves.

Federer still awful though. Sampras is even lower. Their games are more serve based.
Great first post,new user.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
That was really on display today.

Fed is all about his own serve, I have been saying that for a decade now, the Fed cult does not like to admit this.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
we all knew he's just a glorified servebot tho, so this isn't exactly brandnew information.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know about Fed but seeing who is last make me laught. Thiem one of the best clay courters today and recently hardcourter last in break point conversion is hilarious.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I don't know about Fed but seeing who is last make me laught. Thiem one of the best clay courters today and recently hardcourter last in break point conversion is hilarious.
Yeah, he was easily the worst player in taking bp, but he improved this year. He actually is 10/15 in ATP Finals this year.

Reactions: paca

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

Nasals return stats are due to him being superior once the rally gets underway but his actual return isn’t anything special, he generally just tried to put it back in play in a decent enough position to start a neutral rally.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So out of 100 BP opportunities Rafa and Nole would convert 3 more times, not that big of a difference considering the stats include the last few years where Federer has been struggling.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts