Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Federer: "I was angry, disappointed and frustrated. I tried everything on the court"

Roger Federer said he was angry, frustrated and disappointed after his loss against Jeremy Chardy in the second round match at Italian Open in Rome.

32-year-old Federer was playing his first match since birth of his twins boys last week. He benefited from a bye in the first round and faced Jeremy Chardy in the second round.

After failing to convert a match point, the Swiss lost by 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) and was clearly upset after losing the match. Roger Federer said:

"I was angry, disappointed and frustrated, but then I was like: 'OK, let's just do the press conference and go home; let's not waste too much more time.' I've gone through phases in my career. But, at this time of my life and my career, I know how much a defeat hurts and how much it doesn't, and when it's good when it hurts and when it's not. This one is totally OK if it doesn't hurt. I tried everything, you can't do more than that on the court."

The 17-time Grand Slam champion said he has moved away from the years when losing a match like this was very tough but still its not fun to do such conference.

"I cried a ton when I was younger. I've finally moved away from that. It's many years now and I've learned how to handle defeats, although it doesn't feel fun doing this press conference.

Federer also said that it could have been different if a point would have gone here or there. He could be referring to the amazing point, that Chardy played when the Frenchman was match point down at 5-6 in the decisive set tie-break.

"It could have been so different, with a point here or there, but I have experience with it, and I don't want it to consume me or take up too much energy."

He continued: "I'm happy. I'm playing well, so I always see things quite positive – but surely it wasn't fun leaving the court, walking through the corridor and thinking about what happened out there.

He also talked about his rivals and other players.

"Sure you can make a case out of that [leading players having mixed results], but I think all the top guys are actually playing good. Rafa [Nadal] just won last week, Novak [Djokovic] won Indian Wells and Miami – and all those Masters 1000 before that. I've been having a very good year. [David] Ferrer is where he wants to be, basically. So you can turn it both ways. The results will show at the French and Wimbledon but, clearly, it needs an extremely good performance by somebody else, outside the top five to win a slam at this point."

from uk.eurosport - For one passing shot today I don’t get another opportunity to play this week
“That passing shot is a tough one for me to take because he’s not going to make that very often,” said Federer. “But it happens and credit to him to fight his way back into the match and take it.”

“Everything’s under control,” he said. “I still feel good. My body’s good, my mind’s good. It’s just unfortunate for one passing shot today I don’t get another opportunity to play this week.”

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Roger-Federer-says-he-was-angry-frustrated-and-disappointed-after-loss-articolo17978.html

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: Federer: "I was angry, disappointed and frustrated. I tried everything on the cou

Tried everything.. too bad his mind was at the twins.

Which isn't a bad thing.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Re: Federer: "I was angry, disappointed and frustrated. I tried everything on the cou

Only natural to have these kind of losses at 32 years old. His mind just wasn't there, and he did get very unlucky in several points. Not a horrible loss. Gives more time to rest for RG, which will be very physically demanding.

A good thing is that Djokovic has an easier half, which gives him more chance to reach the F and stop Dull from getting lucky.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Only natural to have these kind of losses at 32 years old. His mind just wasn't there, and he did get very unlucky in several points. Not a horrible loss. Gives more time to rest for RG, which will be very physically demanding.

A good thing is that Djokovic has an easier half, which gives him more chance to reach the F and stop Dull from getting lucky.
For the love of god could you make one post without mentioning Rafa. Did you drop your soap in his presence or what ?

Perfectly normal considering Fed wasnt able to play for the past few weeks. Had he been able to play these past few weeks to get match practice he could've made the finals. Best of wishes to him and his family. Hopefully this early exit won't affect him too much at RG.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

[David] Ferrer is where he wants to be, basically.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts

No mention of Wawrinka as a top player? Still bitter, this Federer.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts

“That passing shot is a tough one for me to take because he’s not going to make that very often,” said Federer. This reminds me of the way he whined over Novak's "lucky" return at the US Open. Federer really is a sore loser.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

"Sure you can make a case out of that [leading players having mixed results], but I think all the top guys are actually playing good. Rafa [Nadal] just won last week, Novak [Djokovic] won Indian Wells and Miami – and all those Masters 1000 before that. I've been having a very good year. [David] Ferrer is where he wants to be, basically. So you can turn it both ways. The results will show at the French and Wimbledon but, clearly, it needs an extremely good performance by somebody else, outside the top five to win a slam at this point."
Mandy got dissed :sobbing:

·
Registered
506 Posts

Bitterer as always :lol:

·
Registered
21,396 Posts

He also talked about his rivals and other players.

Mentioning Ferrer and ignoring Wawrinka, no, he isn't bitter about his success at all :superlol:

·
Registered
21,396 Posts

I thought he ignored Murray, not Wawa.
Well, he's talking about good results from the top guys, which Murray isn't at the moment. He even says that it would take an extremely good performance for someone outside of the top 5 to win Roland Garros or Wimbledon, which, again, Murray isn't a part of.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

“That passing shot is a tough one for me to take because he’s not going to make that very often,” said Federer. This reminds me of the way he whined over Novak's "lucky" return at the US Open. Federer really is a sore loser.
I don't see how it's any different from Djokovic saying (after the FO '13 SF loss): "Who knows which direction the match would have gone if I won that point. And I should have won it, in 99.9 per cent of cases.”

It's natural for a player to vent in the press conference, and so long as they are not too indignant (i.e. "He was a lucky ****. I was the real winner of this match." etc.) I don't have a problem with it. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

Well, he's talking about good results from the top guys, which Murray isn't at the moment. He even says that it would take an extremely good performance for someone outside of the top 5 to win Roland Garros or Wimbledon, which, again, Murray isn't a part of.
That's the point, he's been (or was) in the top echelon of the game for a very long game (he's still the reigning Wimbledon champion) and his results have dipped recently, so it's weird not to mention him when you discuss if the top guys are in crisis of any sort.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts

That's the point, he's been (or was) in the top echelon of the game for a very long game (he's still the reigning Wimbledon champion) and his results have dipped recently, so it's weird not to mention him when you discuss if the top guys are in crisis of any sort.
Murray's last big result has been almost a year ago, he's currently ranked #8 overall and #13 in the race, that's a lot less weird than not mentioning someone who has won a Grand Slam and a Masters event in 2014 and is ranked #3 overall and #2 in the race.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts

Murray's last big result has been almost a year ago, he's currently ranked #8 overall and #13 in the race, that's a lot less weird than not mentioning someone who has won a Grand Slam and a Masters event in 2014 and is ranked #3 overall and #2 in the race.
It's understandable Stan slipped his mind. It's not like he overtook him as Swiss No1 or something :p

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

:hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:
I wonder whos fault it was???

Like he said he tried and 1 lucky shot sent him home.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

I kind of agree, it's completely natural to be frustrated if his opponent hits the shot of the match when he has matchpoint (especially if it's a high risk shot), and Federer goes on to lose the match. But complaining about it is something he just shouldn't do.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts