Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
25,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'I totally overachieved in my mind'

Now regarded as an all-time great, Federer says he never went into tennis imagining he would have such success - and having achieved so much, he was now happy to step away.

He spent 310 weeks as world number one - including a record 237-week consecutive stint - and won 103 ATP singles titles.

"I don't think anybody grows up and thinks they're gonna win this much," said Federer. "You know, you're happy with winning a Wimbledon title, which is already crazy, or becoming number one, being the best.

"But then you don't think how many weeks, this is only the media and the fans talking about breaking records.

"Before it was just, I hope to be on tour one day. Just to make it into the top 100 is a huge deal. Coming from a small country, we don't have a base of so many players.

"I totally overachieved in my mind. It's been an absolute dream that I've had for so long. And I know that, and that's why I'm totally happy to step away as well."

Have to agree. Together with dubious opposition in his early days, Federer benefited a lot from surface homogenization without which he would have been a lot more prone to upsets

·
Banned
24,294 Posts
For sure.

He had a few technical flaws which would have been stopped by other ATG's, but playing one-dimensional players like Roddick and Hewitt for slams really bypassed that.

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
For sure.

He had a few technical flaws which would have been stopped by other ATG's, but playing one-dimensional players like Roddick and Hewitt for slams really bypassed that.
What technical flaws?

You stan Abuserev and yet you have the nerve to talk about other player’s technical flaws?

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
If you ask Nadal and Djokovic, they will say the same thing. When they started their careers, they could have never imagined that they would win 20+ slams, so of course in their minds they overachieved.

However, considering the fact that Federer is a special talent, he should have won 25 majors, at least, so he underachieved.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
If you ask Nadal and Djokovic, they will say the same thing. When they started their careers, they could have never imagined that they would win 20+ slams, so of course in their minds they overachieved.

However, considering the fact that Federer is a special talent, he should have won 25 majors, at least, so he underachieved.
Djokovic Specially because up to his 23 yo and 8 months of Age nobody would have dared to bet he would have amazed about as many slams as Fed and Nadal, everybody was counting on him to have a much more similar career to Andy Murray.. but modern science and dietary knowledge can always surprise us.....

On the other Hand, Nadal was a teenage prodigy who everybody was talking about in spain as early as 2001, and how show his capability if beating the N1 in the world back in 2004 and the past RG champions back in 2003, the big surprise from him was that he could translate that success to other surfaces, but he kind of put rest to this rumor as early as 2006, reaching the Wimbledon final for first time

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
Not with that shaky backhand that made him commmit so many UE in important moments..
He was using a smaller racquet compared to the rest of the tour for many years. And single handed backhands tend to be more vulnerable than doubles handed backhands. That is just how it is.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
He was using a smaller racquet compared to the rest of the tour for many years. And single handed backhands tend to be more vulnerable than doubles handed backhands. That is just how it is.
Sure, but my question is that if the smaller raquet probably traded power for control/accuracy/finnese in the way of playing, Federer game, more so in his prime depended so much on small margins, so accuracy was extremely important

·
Your visions will happen
59,171 Posts
He did his best, he said maybe 1 regret would be getting serious earlier than he did

Remember he was almost 22 when he won his first slam while Rafa was barely 19 and Nole 20

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
Sure, but my question is that if the smaller raquet probably traded power for control/accuracy/finnese in the way of playing, Federer game, more so in his prime depended so much on small margins, so accuracy was extremely important
Of course, Federer’s game certainly in his peak years won’t be as fluent with the bigger racquet. His forehand wouldn’t be the weapon it was with the bigger racquet.

Reactions: Ranne
1 - 20 of 91 Posts