Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer: "I often play while in pain. I just have a different approach than Nadal."

Shots fired.

Federer stated the following to a Swiss journalist after his loss against Thiem:

"I often play while in pain. I don't want to pretend like its otherwise. Me and Nadal are definitely two players who played the most matches while in pain. I just have a different approach than Nadal. Its useless to talk about the pain. On the contrary: It only helps the opponent."

Seems like while Nadal complaining all the time about his pain, stating that he has a heavy disadvantage compared to the other top players, Federer is coping with similar pain silently like a true hero. Any objection? >:)

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Re: Federer: "I often play while in pain. I just have a different approach than Nadal

"Me and Nadal are definitely two players who played the most matches while in pain."

That's a very weird thing to say from Federer. Probably taken out of context.

Not just does he not know.

But he has called himself lucky in terms of health. Not sure why he's acting the injured now.

He has the textbook career also because of his role model health.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Re: Federer: "I often play while in pain. I just have a different approach than Nadal

Interesting statement from Roger. One could interpret it as a shot at Nadal, but it could also just be that he's saying pain is a way of life for a top athlete.

·
justice for all
13,109 Posts

Interesting statement from Roger. One could interpret it as a shot at Nadal, but it could also just be that he's saying pain is a way of life for a top athlete.
Roger is a great politician as well. So if the quote is accurate what he said has a double meaning - and the the beauty of it. :smile2:

·
Registered
14,076 Posts

Roger tryna get some o' dat hurt shine...

Ol' man trying to level himself with Rafa, RAFA, in terms of pain?

BIGLY mistake.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Being a top athlete means dealing with pain. It's that simple.

Of course, a statement like this is food for the obsessed non-Federer fans who always have a negative approach, but if they read the statement carefully, Federer literally says Nadal shouldn't talk about his injuries that much, because it helps opponents. Federer is probably aware of the psychology behind these things. So he's actually doing his friend a favour.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts

Of course, a statement like this is food for the obsessed non-Federer fans who always have a negative approach, but if they read the statement carefully, Federer literally says Nadal shouldn't talk about his injuries that much, because it helps opponents. Federer is probably aware of the psychology behind these things. So he's actually doing his friend a favour.
Rafa talks about his injuries when he is visibly impaired by them and the journous ask questions :facepalm: Think a little for yourself

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Rafa talks about his injuries when he is visibly impaired by them and the journous ask questions :facepalm: Think a little for yourself
This coming from a person who says stuff like...

Roger tryna get some o' dat hurt shine...

Ol' man trying to level himself with Rafa, RAFA, in terms of pain?

BIGLY mistake.
Even for a troll, you're a joke! :cuckoo:

We'll call you when ATP wants to make a soap opera about tennis.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts

Montreal 2017 Wimbledon 2016 Rome 2016 Rome 2013 Wimbledon 2012 Masters Cup 2005 etc. etc. it’s quite obvious federer played through pain time and time again. He just doesn’t show off doing it like other players (Del Potro, djokovic, nadal, monfils)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

That's a fine attitude to have, I have a lot of respect for Roger for choosing to keep quiet about it. He gets asked about his fitness a lot and you can sometimes tell he is holding back, whereas Nadal just comes out with it (and I like to know what's going on). But is it actually effective? People seem to know about Roger's injuries/illnesses anyway, so he doesn't need to say anything, it still gets out there, people list them all the time. I mean, Rogers back must be talked about almost as much as Nadal's knees these days thanks to the media/commentators, we know when they have viruses and all sorts.

Edit: I'm not saying that Roger is happy about this info getting out there, he tends to admit it 6 months afterwards.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts

This coming from a person who says stuff like...

Even for a troll, you're a joke! :cuckoo:

We'll call you when ATP wants to make a soap opera about tennis.
All you do is go with the status quo. Very sad.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts

Depends on how much pain and who has (or suffers from) more pain while playing.

It's not a secret that Rafa's game is more physical than Federer. More physical = More pain.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts

Difference between taking it in his stride and whining about it.

"Nadal only answers when journalists ask him about his injury" - maybe, but he (and Toni plays a big part) is too dramatic about it.
"I am more unlucky than others when it comes to injury", "My nephew has been playing with pain and on painkillers since 2005" etc. etc.

Pain and injury are two different things.
Injury causes pain, but you can have chronic pain - Nadal's knees and Fed's back.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

Pain and injury are two different things.
Injury causes pain, but you can have chronic pain - Nadal's knees and Fed's back.
If I might add, a lot of factors (e.g. genetics, training methods, scheduling, nutrition, rest...) affect the risk of injury. Stating that a physical style of play automatically means more pain is short-sighted. I think true Nadal fans should stop insinuating stuff like that, because it makes him look weak and he doesn't deserve that.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts

11 RGs vs. 8 Wimbledons. Focus/approach is on winning another RG, not Indian Wells.

You ain't won Indian Wells, anyway. Quiet.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts

I agree except Rafa's way (being very open about his injuries) hasn't hurt him at all in competition.

There's something to be said for both tactics: don't tell your opponents you are in pain/hampered; they will get a boost of confidence and may try to exploit your injuries (bad knee? make you run; bad back? send you drop shots).

Or: let your opponents believe you are hampered so they will either relax and lose intensity, or screw up their gameplan by trying to play to your injuries (by sending you dumb drop shots, or wasting chances to hit winners in order to make you run more). Then you catch them off guard and beat them because they thought you weren't at your best.

For Federer it's all about that air of invincibility, and the lightness and ease with which he seems to do things -- trying to unnerve the opponent with that. For Rafa, it's all about the fact that he will outrun and outwork you, even on one leg, so you begin to despair and give up, thinking nothing will ever be enough to beat him. Different approach for different personalities; I could never picture Fed doing Rafa's thing, or vice versa.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts

Del Potro would love to have their "pains" during his career. He has spent more time in hospital than a WWI veteran.
But this is not about how many injuries or whether they required surgery. It's simply about playing through pain. If you think about it, you'll realize these are different things.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts