Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live tennis:

Former world Number one Roger Federer says that he still considers himself a great player, despite not winning a Grand Slam for over two years.

The Swiss star is currently playing some of the best tennis of his life having won his last three tournaments but after a number of high-prolife defeats to his rivals in the majors, many have questioned whether or not he still has the ability to compete in the big tournaments.

However, the 30-year-old feels he has nothing to prove to either himself or his fans and that he is still amongst the world’s best.

“I expected it, that it was possible, but I’m happy to prove it to myself and maybe some people” Federer said. Just, you know, prove it to my fans that, you know, they’re right. That I’m still a great player.”

The ‘FedExpress’ has himself confessed that he lost confidence in himself for a while following a number of disappointing results. However, after his brilliant start to the 2012 season, he is once again being talked up as a potential contender for the slams this year.

With the Olympics also taking place in the summer, this has the potential to be a landmark year for the 16-time Grand Slam winner. Olympic gold is the only title that Federer is yet to win and he says the tournament will be special to him as it is being held at Wimbledon.

“I really hope I’m in the best shape” he continued. “If I’m playing well, I know I’ll have a shot for the title. To have the Olympics held this year at Wimbledon is, for us or for me personally something very exciting.”

Gamblers will be hoping to take advantage of tennis betting offers to capitalise on Federer's confidence.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts