Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the triple whammy of Kandy (QF W), Milkman (4R USO) and Tsitsipas (4R AO), it was looking this time last year as if Fed could be a spent force at slams.

Since then he has put together a run of:

SF (FO)
F (W)
QF (USO)
SF at least (AO)

He's obviously ridden his luck at this tournament, but pretty staggering nonetheless.

How does that match up against the exploits of Rosewall, Gonzalez et al.?

Has anyone else ever been able to bring such consistency at such an advanced age?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think Rosewall reached back to back majors finals(Wim 74 & USO 74) at age of 39. Both finals he lost to Connors.

Nevertheless, for Federer this is a remarkable achievement to show such consistency at his age.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Whatever. His draw was a joke here and he still struggled big time. The dimitrov match was a disgrace and do I really have to say anything about Wimbledon?
still not so great, huh

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I was laughing in June last year when he went the farthest at RG, taking one year period in account, and coming back from clay absence xD

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
Draws tho?

·
Super Moderator
10,798 Posts
probably they will make new rule and give him bye first few rounds, so he can continue to draw big $

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
How does that match up against the exploits of Rosewall, Gonzalez et al.?
Pancho was older in his run in 1968, as was Connors in 1991. Rosewall has the above mentioned finals, as well as semifinals all the way to 43.

In short, at this point in time, there's simply no comparison between Federer and Rosewall. Federer, like Rosewall is the only one to maintain a top 5 ranking at the age of 38. Rosewall, however, maintained that ranking for several more years, and remained competitive in slams for another half a decade past.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
the old ”guard players” declined faster or just retired

the new players are not consistent in slams
same reason why the big three sweeps 12 slams in a row

1 - 11 of 11 Posts