Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Despite the obvious decline in his movement, Federer is still easily one of the best movers on tour. If I was watching tennis for the first time, I would think that’s Federer is 25 and not 37, looking at Federer’s movement. He is still so quick and nimble around the court. It’s beautiful to watch.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I think he's doing quite okay for a 37 year old.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i thought that a lot of the points thiem made in the IW finals were 100% winners, yet federer recovered a lot. movement absolutely competitive and anticipation still unmatched on tour.

·
Registered
156 Posts
He is one of the first players to realize footwork is as important as forehand. He was the best on tour when it comes to positioning that's why everything looks so effortless for him. His footwork is equal of NBA player. You wanna start playing good tennis at any time and age? Go do positioning training everyday instead of your usual left and right top spin accuracy program and shots will come as soon as you are able to read and move yourself to right spot.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
He is one of the first players to realize footwork is as important as forehand. He was the best on tour when it comes to positioning that's why everything looks so effortless for him. His footwork is equal of NBA player. You wanna start playing good tennis at any time and age? Go do positioning training everyday instead of your usual left and right top spin accuracy program and shots will come as soon as you are able to read and move yourself to right spot.
Federer practically invented moving your feet, what a genius this guy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Among the big 4, I actually think Nadal has lost the most in which concerns movement. He shanks so many balls nowadays especially due to the fact he often comes late to the ball. Also his stamina isn't the same.
Fed is actually insanely sharp and fast. Ofc he isn't 100% like he was on his peak days, but he is still so gracious, his footwork still best out there. He has lost some lateral movement and that shows when he can't position to hit forehand when the ball comes to bh. He did that regularly on his peak blasting winners with fh inside out. Now he compensates that with that wicked sliced bh, which in fact is very effective in some extent. But still, people underestimate his athleticism, which for me is top notch, especially when taking in consideration 38 yo of age. It is stunning, really.
And last but not least, Djoker is the one who didn't lose much of his movement. But he is also lot youger, so let's compare 3 years from now. He lost some of his stamina though. He gets gassed often lately which is quite bizzare for someone of his age and body. ( the guy is only muscles, not a single bit of fat). On the other hand, Fed for example has some belly i think, not the best abs or arms. But his power of shots comes from the sinergy of his shots, so fluid that you wonder how the guy had such pace with not particularly strong arms ( i.e look at Stan - sheer power ). His magic thing are his legs, pure gladiator. And i honestly think Fed's legs keeps him at the top, although they have such mileage on them.:))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts