Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which GS would you prefer that Fed wins in 2012?

• Australian Open

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • French Open

Votes: 21 30.9%
  • Wimbledon

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • US Open

Votes: 3 4.4%
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Interestingly I was looking at the 3 slams that fed and nole played each other. Statistically Nole had his best match not at the AO but at the USO against fed. Moreover, Fed's worst statistical match was the USO where he had 2 match points.

Fedhaters rave about how novak played so great at the AO match vs federer but then didn't play so great at the RG semi. Well if you look at the numbers he had a cleaner match at RG then he did at AO 2011.

Lets not forget that the first set breaker at AO could have easily gone to fed and he was up 5-2 in the second and this was when Nole was playing the incredible tennis which will be tough to repeat bc of the way he ended this year as opposed to last year with the losses/injuries not helping.

I think federer winning the way he did today vs tsonga might be the best thing that could have happened to him helping him get over those mental demonds; remember it was tsonga's 2 set down comeback that started all this roger zoning out after 2 sets talk. Winning the way federer won may have cured him of his mental follies. We'll see in Australia.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
AO and Wimbly, that's enough ;):);)

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
None of the above. His time has passed. Maybe the Olympics for completion purposes.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Difficult.

AO: 5 slams in 3 different GS events would be great plus would surpass Agassi for most titles in AO in Open Era (now both tied with 4).

RG: 2 RG so that he has 2 carreer GS.

W: 7th title to tie with Sampras.

USO: 6th title to surpass Sampras and Connors.

Very difficult to choose.
This, pretty much. Any of them would be great and would tie/break some astounding records. If he wins A.O. he'll have most titles in the Open Era and be the only man to have won 3 different slams 5 times. If he wins R.G. he'll be only the 2nd man after Laver to have won every slam more than once (i.e., to have 2 career grand slams), & only the 3rd man after Wilander & Nadal to have won multiple slams on 3 different surfaces (I think) - & he'll shut a lot of idiots up. If he wins Wimbledon he'll tie Sampras (& Renshaw) & have a case for greatest grass-courter ever (already has most titles in Open Era). If he wins U.S.O. he'll have the most titles in the Open Era, overtaking Sampras & Connors. In many ways that would be the biggest achievement of the lot, particularly for a European, but I can sort of understand why people are least enthusiastic about it.

If he can sort out his ranking so Nadal plays Nole in the semis then he has a serious shot at R.G.

·
Registered
399 Posts
He'd probably want RG, not because he values it the most but simply because it would strengthen his case as an all-surface player. If not for that issue, I think he himself would prefer to be remembered as the undisputed king of Wimbledon, even though it's not his strongest surface (big servers seem to trouble him there more than anywhere else). His best chance, however, I think will always be at the USO.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i don't think he's going to win one at all

i only say this because this same discussion occurred at this time last year because of his great year end run... but nothing came out of it

its hard to carry momentum from the end of one season to the beginning of the next

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I'd prefer Oympics :) of wait, it's not a GS... then I'll go with Wimbledon

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
I saw him get visibly tired after two sets in two different slams - Wimbly and USO for the first time this year (2011). He needs to work on his endurance in earnest or he has no chance.

His best chances will still be at Wimbly and USO.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
He'd probably want RG, not because he values it the most but simply because it would strengthen his case as an all-surface player. If not for that issue, I think he himself would prefer to be remembered as the undisputed king of Wimbledon, even though it's not his strongest surface (big servers seem to trouble him there more than anywhere else). His best chance, however, I think will always be at the USO.
This. Im sure he values WImbledon more than RG, but winning another RG would silence even the few remaining critics about his ability as a competent clay-court player.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Australian Open. Not sure why.
Maybe because you sense Nadal and Djokovic may not get themselves in suitable shape by AO 2012.

Last year Nadal was runner up at the YE 2010 and looked good going into 2011 and Djokovic ended the year on the Davis Cup win. Both look worse ending 2011 than they did ending 2010.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'd prefer Tsonga to win one,he has a more attractive game and has a far better record against the top 4 players than Del Potro.

I'm sorry but for now, Del Potro looks much more a one slam wonder than a multi-slams player.
If you exclude that (fluke?) GS won against a Federer who played probably his second worst match in a GS final (just after the FO 2008 final), i would say guys like Murray or even Tsonga have had better careers than Del Potro so far.
Ufff, this is soo hard to judge. Del Potro has won a slam, and beat Nadal and Federer as well. Murray would kill for that, I think.

On the other hand, Murray has got a nice Masters 1000 final record. Tsonga is unfortunately lower level.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts