Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live tennis:

Roger Federer has revealed his frustration at constantly having to face questions about his future in the sport and says that he currently has no plans to retire from the sport.

The former world number one turned 30 last year but is currently experiencing somewhat of resurgence, losing only two matches since crashing out of the US Open to Novak Djokovic in September.

This run has seen the 16-time grand slam champion win six titles in the last six months but following his semi-final loss at Australian Open in January, he now hasn’t won a major for over two years.

His perceived decline has led to questions about his plans for the future but although the ‘FedExpress’ admits his defeats in big matches have been hard to take, he has never thought about quitting despite the repeatedly being asked.

"You know how it was, 'Am I going to quit?' I know I come to different places all year and each event wants their answer, but sometimes it came from those who know me and after I lose a big match it's like, 'Come On!” he told the Times.

"I'm not afraid of playing and taking losses, but then you get a double whammy from the press. I don't like it when the fans start believing that this is the way it is."
Federer has also given his backing to Andy Murray who he believes is closer than ever to winning a Grand Slam. After a number of near misses, some fans now believe Scot is getting further away from breaking his major duck but the Swiss maestro says people need to have patience with the 24-year-old.

"Remember Murray winning back-to-back tournaments last year and he played super-consistent in the slams and had chances, and people don't talk about that” he added. “So that's why it it's important to have perspective”.

Fans of Federer hoope his predictions are true and aim to take advantage of tennis betting offers in his favour.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts