Votes: 20 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 53.5%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We know what Wimby means to Fed, all the prestige and blah blah, but even though we don't really expect something big out of RG anymore, I think an RG win will definitely mean a lot to him and his fans in a different way, not to mention the Double Career GS. Discuss.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
2 career slams vs 8 and record holder in Wimby? Hummmmmm

Im not a fedtart so ill just watch this go on...

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Yes, definitely : I would prefer Roger to win any other slam than Wimbledon because it would be much less expected and more pleasant.

And the French open is so hard to win and also a nice tournament and I remember so great his win against Djokovic in 2011 and his win in 2009 ... with some luck and a great form, it's not 100% impossible. I don't care if he defeats Nadal or not, anyway if ever he defeats Nadal you can be sure it will be an unvalid win, probably truly, anyway in every journalist's point of view. I'd rather prefer him to win the French open without defeating Nadal, it would be cleaner and more pleasant.

Actually my main hope for several years now has been for Roger to win the US Open, because I prefer Federer's game on this surface, and also because it was hard for me to digest the so close losses to Del Po in 2009, and Djoko in 2010 and 2011 while playing so great, especially in 2009 and 2011.

But actually the French open would be even better, the only problem is that it's even far less likely than the US Open :lol:

In my eyes, Wimbledon has never represented as much as in Roger's and many of his fans' eyes apparently. And him winning it appears nearly too expected and easy for me to fully enjoy (at least that was my impression in 2012 and 2009 : I enjoyed much more the win in the AO 2010 ; it was also true between 2004 and 2006 actually).

Also Wimbledon seems to depend too much on the serve, especially in his old years where his serve has improved. Also in my eyes Wimbledon has always seemed more hazardous, depending on a few points and luck, and also nerve-wracking, comparing to other slams, when I think of the Wimbledon 2009 win I can't really consider it as a win and rather felt bad actually for Roddick (except that people often forget that Roger played very great in that Wimbledon 2009 tournament in all previous rounds while disappointing in the final).

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
Any slam makes me happy, doesn't matter which one.

Looking now, I definitely prefer a RG win since it's the next one. After RG my preference would be Wimbledon, since it's the next one. After that USO - and so on.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Nah, everyone knows Wimbledon is Top 2 best and RG is the worst.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
a slam is slam for Roger- it doesn't matter. he just wants to make the number higher than 17
numbers are not as important as the pleasure you feel right after the win, you can be sure of that, and especially for Roger who's an emotional guy

Anyway whatever his record, it will be beaten one day or other, maybe even soon as you know.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
numbers are not as important as the pleasure you feel right after the win, you can be sure of that, and especially for Roger who's an emotional guy

Anyway whatever his record, it will be beaten one day or other, maybe even soon as you know.
not for Roger, he won everything that is there to win. maybe he would prefer a singles Olympic gold that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Who the hell cares for a Roland Garros when you can have a Wimbledon?

Unless he beats Rafa in the final, no.
This exactly. Who cares about a second FO that would be regarded as a second fluke anyway? This is Nadal's kingdom, period.
Having won it once in the Nadal era is enough of a miracle. On the other hand, a 8th crown in Wimbledon, that would be something!

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
not for Roger, he won everything that is there to win. maybe he would prefer a singles Olympic gold that's for sure.
I think you don't understand him, he's a very emotional guy.

And he's still quite fresh and young in his mind, as Fabrica Santoro always says on French TV.

Besides, he's not won a slam for long, and as a person who feels old myself, I can tell you that one feels very emotional when getting old when you feel something which you haven't felt for long and which you have loved.

This exactly. Who cares about a second FO that would be regarded as a second fluke anyway? This is Nadal's kingdom, period.
Having won it once in the Nadal era is enough of a miracle. On the other hand, a 8th crown in Wimbledon, that would be something!
it's not good, the French open happened to be a tournament with great emotions and incredible scenarios, players loved to win there, now because of Nadal we should forget all that ?

you see that's the main reason why many French open spectators : he's taken emotion out of the tournament. The French open is emotion for many French people, who remember very well Noah's win or Leconte's runs for instance.

The Djoko-Fed match in 2011 was beloved by everybody because of that, it brought back that emotion comparing to the so much expected Nadal's easy win.

Borg also took emotion out of the tournament but fortunately did it for a much less long time.

To be fair, Federer, like Sampras, also took emotion out of Wimbledon for a while, I think of the 2009 win especially. But he also did it for less long, and also Wimbledon has not had as much of a tradition of an emotional tournament as the French open.

·
Registered
226 Posts
LOL is this a no brainer. I'll take Wimby over anything else, it is the most prestigious of the slams by far and GOAT's legacy as the Greatest Wimbeldon champion will only be further enhanced with another title there.

USO comes a distant 2nd for me and then it's a tossup between AO and RG

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I will take both- second channel slam.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I think you don't understand him, he's a very emotional guy.

And he's still quite fresh and young in his mind, as Fabrica Santoro always says on French TV.

Besides, he's not won a slam for long, and as a person who feels old myself, I can tell you that one feels very emotional when getting old when you feel something which you haven't felt for long and which you have loved.

it's not good, the French open happened to be a tournament with great emotions and incredible scenarios, players loved to win there, now because of Nadal we should forget all that ?

you see that's the main reason why many French open spectators : he's taken emotion out of the tournament. The French open is emotion for many French people, who remember very well Noah's win or Leconte's runs for instance.

The Djoko-Fed match in 2011 was beloved by everybody because of that, it brought back that emotion comparing to the so much expected Nadal's easy win.

Borg also took emotion out of the tournament but fortunately did it for a much less long time.

To be fair, Federer, like Sampras, also took emotion out of Wimbledon for a while, I think of the 2009 win especially. But he also did it for less long, and also Wimbledon has not had as much of a tradition of an emotional tournament as the French open.

I do not agree for Wimbeldon that Federer took all emotions out of Wimbeldon. You could see Fed almost always played there tough matches in F'. How many 5 setters matches he played there?! Many. A lot of drama and high quality tennis. But you can not say the same for Nadal and FO.
For 10 years Nadal was in F 9x and won all in 3sets or 4 sets. When Federer won FO there was a drama in his match vs Haas,then vs Del Potro
and Soderling and Fernando played 5 setter match as well. It was really great GS and most important unpredictable. There were a lot of emotions.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts