1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
may the better man win

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Already a thread about this with a lot of comments from Federer fans, I advice you to read it.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
I reckon Roger wants Djokovic to win this one cause Rafa almost surely wins RG again

Even better would be if Nole wins this and Rafa gets to #1 at some point this year so Roger can keep both his slam record and his weeks at #1 record

But these guys are coming for both. That's why Roger has not retired yet, he does not want to end up like Sampras, having his records eclipsed within 10 years of retirement, maybe less

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reckon Roger wants Djokovic to win this one cause Rafa almost surely wins RG again

Even better would be if Nole wins this and Rafa gets to #1 at some point this year so Roger can keep both his slam record and his weeks at #1 record

But these guys are coming for both. That's why Roger has not retired yet, he does not want to end up like Sampras, having his records eclipsed within 10 years of retirement, maybe less
It really feels inevitable. He may lose the grand slam record even this year

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I would probably prefer Nadal if I was Fed fans. Djokovic isn't going to slow down any time soon. Hes got another 3-4 years left in the tank. Nadal has next year MAX in the tank to break Fed's slam record.

If Nole wins the AO he will go on to win 3 slams this year chances are.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
It really feels inevitable. He may lose the grand slam record even this year
Considering how both Nadal and Djokovic looked 1 year ago, hell, how Rafa looked 2 weeks ago, these kinds of predictions are too long term for my taste

I'm not looking past the coin toss

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Considering how both Nadal and Djokovic looked 1 year ago, hell, how Rafa looked 2 weeks ago, these kinds of predictions are too long term for my taste

Sure, recency bias

·
Registered
7,156 Posts

Do you really believe Rafa injured himself vs Kandy?

Nop, i dont for a sec. With Rafa if he gets hurt its something serious and for a few months.

My take in this is simple. Fake and injury thus avoiding Nole when it doesnt matter. He didnt want to give Nole time to prepare for this New Rafa.

Brisbane his team never wanted to play there also. Precaution.
When the goal is AO, you dont waste time and risk injury a few days before.

Smart planning.

·
justice for all
13,157 Posts
I would probably prefer Nadal if I was Fed fans. Djokovic isn't going to slow down any time soon. Hes got another 3-4 years left in the tank. Nadal has next year MAX in the tank to break Fed's slam record.

But you are not. You are a Fed hater instead. So it's pretty clear what you prefer.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts

Yup. Everything has been changing very quickly in recent 3 years:

1) Shocking fall of Djokovic (from NCYGS to no big titles for 2 years!)
2) Murray's unexpected surge towards #1 in autumn 2016 followed by career-ending injury.
3) big comeback of Fedal (no slams for years and suddenly 6 GS in 1.5 years)
4) meteoric rise of Djokovic in ATP rankings (from #22 to #1 in just 4 months),
5) Lapse of Federer's form in 2018
6) Nadal's injury and great comeback (one of his best HC game after 4 months of break).

It's tempting to extrapolate current trends into the future (people like doing it and MTFers are no exception) but who knows, what's next?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
so lots of experts are predicting Nadal to win because of his "new serve motion" and agressiveness.

Well at the moment Novak is odds favorite and his odds are dropping in his favor. maybe it has do to he won his last 8 meetings vs Nadal on HC without losing a set?? maybe....

Nadal was playing peak tennis in US2011 , just losing a set vs murray in SF and playing unbelievable 3rd set tennis in the final. He still lost. He said he played at 200% in AO12 F and still lost despite djokovic playing 11 hours in 3 days.

Roger was playing unbelievable in WIM15 and US15 before the final barely losing sets by being overaggressive with 1st serve+1st shot FH combos like Nadal at the moment. Then what happened? Have a gut feeling Nadal fans are in for a rude awakening if Nole is gonna win this in 4 tight sets , wondering what happened,what went wrong? (all those AO finals lost,etc...)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would pick Djokovic, though the Slam Record has nothing to do with my choice. I think Nole is more deserving, he is the true heir. He has a winning/tied H2H against Fed across all surfaces, whereas Rafa has a losing H2H everywhere except on clay.

Fed was the player of the 2000's, and unless Rafa wins the Grand Slam in 2019, Nole will be the player of the 2010's. As formidable as Rafa is, I will always see a (2) next to his name.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Definitely Rafa! I can't understand any fan of Roger's wanting Djoker to win another slam.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts