Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every time I visit MTF I’m always wondering why the GOAT debate is so rarely mentioned on here. You’d think people would care enough to talk about it.

it’s all advanced discussion this, in-depth game analysis that. Terrible
Wait. So you're of the opinion there's a debate about the matter?

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Of course he did, because he was goat since 2009 or 2010 till 2021, and because his GOAT acronym really stands for GOA(OE)T, i.e. the greatest in the open era.

Currently the open era goat is Djokovic, but Nadal or Federer could get their co-goat status back if they won another slam before Djokovic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If must know Nadal is barely 2nd all behind Djokovic if Nadal say was to win 21th major title he would end as Tennis Goat. And us for Federer he's 4th behind laver, Djokovic Nadal.
Nadal at 2nd is a really tough ask. Sure, he's got the most weeks at #2—by about a 1,000 miles—but that doesn't secure it for him.

He's somehow never even won the Tour Finals. That alone is massive. But having so few weeks at the #1 ranking just puts him out of contention.

·
Registered
349 Posts
GOAT is a title reserved for Laver, Big3 are not going to reach him unless one of them wins at least 1 CYGS and 1 Olympics gold, or no Olympics but 2xCYGS.
I believe DCGS is very important next to all of that and thus why Djokovic is ahead of Federer and Nadal. If Nadal had won ATP finals at least 1 time it would be more debatable because he has both Olympics gold singles and Olympics gold doubles, so a really great resume at the most prestigious tournament, but ATP finals resume is just too much.
I still would put Nadal slightly ahead of Federer, due to Olympics gold single and h2h advantage, but it is very close, again lack of ATP finals sucks for Nadal, but it's more balanced due to Federer also lacking some masters, no DCGS, winning RG without ever beating Nadal at RG even with 6 chances, in fact in 6 matches he never managed to push Nadal to 5 sets, while Nadal managed to do so against Djokovic the first time they met in AO, etc. Still, I would've no issue with others putting Federer ahead of Nadal.

·
Registered
Nadal
1,647 Posts
Nadal at 2nd is a really tough ask. Sure, he's got the most weeks at #2—by about a 1,000 miles—but that doesn't secure it for him.

He's somehow never even won the Tour Finals. That alone is massive. But having so few weeks at the #1 ranking just puts him out of contention.
Your wrong Nadal weeks at number no.1 is still about 4 years all together which long time. and most consecutive weeks in top 10 in tennis history as well. I think if Nadal wins 21 he's the clear GOAT of tennis maybe he is Goat Already who knows or laver?.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Federer really did more than anyone could have expected of him. Made the best of his limitations and weak mentality, and was aesthetically a joy to watch while he was active. 🙌
Agreed of course. The mental frailty bit is a little overstated though. You don't do the things that Federer did with a weak mentality.

GOAT is a title reserved for Laver, Big3 are not going to reach him unless one of them wins at least 1 CYGS and 1 Olympics gold, or no Olympics but 2xCYGS.
I believe DCGS is very important next to all of that and thus why Djokovic is ahead of Federer and Nadal. If Nadal had won ATP finals at least 1 time it would be more debatable because he has both Olympics gold singles and Olympics gold doubles, so a really great resume at the most prestigious tournament, but ATP finals resume is just too much.
I still would put Nadal slightly ahead of Federer, due to Olympics gold single and h2h advantage, but it is very close, again lack of ATP finals sucks for Nadal, but it's more balanced due to Federer also lacking some masters, no DCGS, winning RG without ever beating Nadal at RG even with 6 chances, in fact in 6 matches he never managed to push Nadal to 5 sets, while Nadal managed to do so against Djokovic the first time they met in AO, etc. Still, I would've no issue with others putting Federer ahead of Nadal.
Laver really played the game in a much different time. The sport on a professional level was largely isolated to a few nations, for starters.

·
|
16,762 Posts
Its amazing that we have people in this world dumb enough to think tennis could have a GOAT.
We are in the most divisive era in the history of tennis (the big 3 era), no chance of a GOAT, no chance whatsoever.
Sampras had a case vs. Laver, but once you add the big3 to the equation, the tennis community becomes a mess of opinions.
I can't believe people waste their time on this "debate", when the GOAT award/title/whatever doesn't even have an agreed upon criteria.
It never will have an agreed upon criteria, and like I've said before, even if Nadal finishes with 30 slams, and Federer/Djokovic stay on 20 slams, even I won't be calling Nadal "GOAT", because no amount of slams can prove one player is better than every other player in history.
No achievement can definitively prove one player is the GOAT.

·
Registered
Nadal
1,647 Posts
One thing is for sure Fakerer never going to be Goat Laver already better. and both Djokovic, Nadal are going to win more majors than Fakerer next season all his records are being smashed to bits. Federer the new Sampras of men's tennis.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts