Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Q. There was a moment on Court2 today when Kyrgios appeared to tank a game, not try.
ROGER FEDERER: One game?

Q. One game, yeah. Can you understand someone getting frustrated and doing that or do you find that disrespectful?
ROGER FEDERER: Towards whom?

Q. Towards the crowd who paid good money to watch you.
ROGER FEDERER: A game is like 55 seconds. Again, did he really do it or not? A game where a guy serves well, is that tanking, too? It's like sometimes it's part of like a boxer when he puts his hands down, is that tanking? Then he swings freely again.
I think we shouldn't dig too deep into those kind of things. If you told me he did an entire set, plus more, plus this, I'd say, Okay, it's a bit much probably.
But I just watched the end of the third, the end of the fourth. He was fighting then. He was really wanting to win. He should have been in the fifth at the end.
In my opinion, it was a great match and it was close. The fans got their money's worth, in my opinion. It was a close match last year. He saved nine match points against Richard. Today two.
So one game to me is part of tactics, as well, sometimes to throw the other guy off. Maybe yourself, you can be frustrated and just not feel like it for a couple of points. Especially a younger guy, it's going to happen more often than one of the top guys that have been around, that just like say, Okay, point mentality, we'll do it again and again and again and again. For a younger guys, it's a little bit boring at times, which I understand.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=110969

Rogie is obviously smart & mature enough to avoid knee-jerk reactions, unlike your average Joe. :hatoff:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
GOAT nails it again... Great explanation

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's well-known that Roger actively supports Nick. Still, this is a balanced and insightful reaction from him. Others should take note and learn not to judge on a hunch.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Gasquet also defended Kyrgios.

I found it very curious that basically the players are all very understanding and sympathetic and have no feeling of outrage that something scandalous happened at that specific moment.

In a way the players attitude exposes everyone else's two-faced hypocrite-ness about tanking, namely that tanking is tanking (there is no right or wrong way of doing it - it's the same whether you disguise it (the way it happens most of the time) or whether you are upfront with it like Kyrgios did during that game

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
I agree with Federer here like I agreed with him when he said things in my signature.

I really don't understand all media hysteria about this. British and Australian yellow press are disgraceful and embarrassment for humanity.

It was one freaking game. It is not like he tanked the match. He felt like he has no chance of winning one particular game and didn't try 100% in order to focus on the next one. What is the big deal?

Especially there was no place for some senile racist from Australia to call out Kyrgios (and Tomic) for this and calling for their deportation. :stupid:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I agree with Fed for the most part, though I feel the way Kyrgios did it is kinda disrespectful towards Gasquet primarily. Not sure how to explain that exactly. I have thrown some games but when I did I always just ballbashed everything as hard as possible, which I feel is a different thing than just walking away from serves. I agree it may be 'part of tactics' in a way, but an unnecessary medical timeout can also be part of tactics and is still frowned upon by most.

I'm kinda undecided how to feel about it, but it's been blown way out of proportion by some. However when you combine it with his other antics he kinda had it coming.

Especially there was no place for some senile racist from Australia to call out Kyrgios (and Tomic) for this and calling for their deportation. :stupid:
Those comments were indeed appaling. Probably not meant quite as borderline racist as they came across, but please think before making those kinds of statements, especially when you're a person of some status.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Meh. Kyrgios always brown-noses Roger so I can understand the quid pro quo. :shrug:

In his mind, Fed is probably wondering what's wrong with this thug.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
100% correct. Not his fault tennis points aren't weighted the same. If they want players to bust their gut every point then they're gonna have to change to scoring system to "first to 100" or something ridiculous like that. He should have hid it better (ballbashing like suggested above), but like I said before he's under no obligation to tire himself out winning junk points so there's nothing left in the tank for the important ones. In the context of the entire match he definitely tried, winning a set and coming very close to a 2nd. Maybe if he expended all his mental and physical energy on those useless points he might have lost in straights, avoiding any controversy but having an objectively worse result.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Did you even read what he said, OP?
He said: "If you told me he did an entire set, plus more, plus this, I'd say, Okay, it's a bit much probably."
Means, your entire thread backfires because he was tanking the entire set.

Also, I think the crowd is smart enough to know what they like or dislike. They don't need Roger Federer to interpret their feelings.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
"brown-noses Roger" What does that mean?

It's good Federer defending Kyrgios. I didn't like Kyrgios attitude but the amount of s*it Kyrgios got from the Anglos was way too much.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you even read what he said, OP?
He said: "If you told me he did an entire set, plus more, plus this, I'd say, Okay, it's a bit much probably."
Means, your entire thread backfires because he was tanking the entire set.

Also, I think the crowd is smart enough to know what they like or dislike. They don't need Roger Federer to interpret their feelings.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you ?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
They are both sponsored by Nike, so you'd expect Fed to stick up for him at least a little bit. The same goes for most players. Nick might be a bit daft, but most of the top players are experienced enough to know that creating unnecessary friction is a distraction from the day job, so I'd be surprised to see any of them being particularly harsh about him in pubic. They'd be particularly foolish to condemn him without having seen the full match, and which of them has time for that?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Sweet how Rog instantly snuffed-out the excitement of the journalist at the very first moment of asking:
Q. There was a moment on Court2 today when Kyrgios appeared to tank a game, not try.
ROGER FEDERER: One game?
I bet the giddy jouno thought he was at the centre of a brewing scandal that got the interest and opinion of big-name players.

Then the maestro puts a cold shower on him with just two words.

Reactions: Joey Tribbiani

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Krygios is supporter of Fed than Nadal & Djokovic.

Its understandable Fed returns the PR favour.

The only one which gained his respect is Fed. He will not show attitude against the GOAT.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Good interview. Sometimes players have to back each other up against harsh media. Federer as senior gives a great example.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts