Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the few times this year where Federer has finished a match better than he begun it - in fact by the end, considering first match on clay and the quality of the opponent, he was playing quite well. This is the third time, on the third different surface, that Rochus has won the opening set from him in a best of three encounter, it's obviously not a coincidence. Hardly surprising that he had the edge over him when they were both juniors, before Federer increased in stature and gained an advantage in power.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Estoril R1: Roger Federer def. O. Rochus 4-6, 6-3, 6-2

Congrats Roger!!!1

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Absolutely gastranomical performance :worship:

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
really nice how he recovered , although its hard to actually lose to rochus...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: Estoril R1: Roger Federer def. O. Rochus 4-6, 6-3, 6-2

Roger. Great serving. :yeah:

Learn to convert BPs. :eek:

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
thanks, sjengst! glad I didn't have any coverage of this one... Rogi better be wary of Hanescu now... another monster on clay...

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
"Nice" win:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where were you watching it?
Eurosport 2. Out of interest Federer has a giant carbuncle on his right cheek, halfway through I was about to call it a suitably poxy performance from him but he kept it together just in time. Somewhat fortunate for him that Rochus double faulted twice to give him the opening in the game he broke, but he showed good tenacity to get the double break in the decider, including an amazing exchange of slices that ended with Federer sneaking in and putting away a volley. Along with Gasquet, Rochus is probably the only other player apart from Federer who can switch easily from topspin to slice, overall he definitely has the superior backhand and it showed again.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
ridiculous start and way too many unforced errors.

He has a lot to improve if he really wants RG.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I didn't see the match, so all I can judge from is information from those that did... and apparently it went a bit like this:
first set... :speakles: :mad: :eek: :eek: :smash:
No backhand whatsoever, returns MIA... only thing that seemed to work was his serve.

Fortunately, he managed to improve his game during the match and pull out a win, but there's a lot of work still to do for Mr. Rogelio.

Anyway, congrats on the win. Bring on the next one!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts