Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great match from both. From the start they were both hitting winners and Hewitt really made Fed play his best to win.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
This is the first proper 'match' that I've seen of Federer this week. Match is actually closer than the scoreline suggests.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Its seems as though his forehand has returned

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
AWESOME match, indeed.
The scoreline doesn't give Hewitt enough credit - he really played very well but only got the best out of Roger.

Roger's serve in the first set was absolutely great, in the second more back to 'normal'. Great to see his Deadly Forehand being back from wherever it disappeared the past six months!

It's obvious that Fed is on fire now, and that handing over the #1 position isn't (yet) part of his plans. En route to the final!

Well done both gentlemen and thanks for the entertaining and high quality match! :worship:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the first proper 'match' that I've seen of Federer this week. Match is actually closer than the scoreline suggests.
Yeah, I agree. Every service game seemed to be contested. Hopefully Hewitt can keep playing agressive tennis like this and he'll be a factor for the USO IMO.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Every service game was contested, but it never really felt like Federer was going to come off worst in any sort of sustained fashion.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Another solid performance by Fed :yeah:

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
This was a high quality tennis match with a lot of crushing and exhausting baseline exchanges. Federer hit 35 winners to 31 errors and his forehand today was destructive. He did make some errors on the backhand side but it was good enough when it needed to be and he was willing to hit over the ball multiple times and often forced a weak return out of Hewitt which was then punished by his forehand.

Overall this was an enjoyable match, with many thundering powerhouse forehand winners and early, clean ball striking.

The main difference in this match was that Federer manufactured for himself more break point oppurtunities and played the bigger points better than Hewitt did. Hewitt let himself down with some untimely double faults which was a shame. Hewitt also shot himself in the foot with a first serve percentage of 50 ish which just wasn't high enough to fend off the constant pressure that Federer was putting on Hewitt's service games.

Federer's serve was solid today and he hit 13 aces, many of them at the most important times, fending off mighty pressure from Hewitt who was punishing the second serve of Federer, which was too often struck slightly too short.

The Federer forehand let him down notably just the once in a critical situation: when facing break point in the 2nd set, Fed had a great chance to finish off the point with aa forehand down the line, which he dumped into the net.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Maybe it was closer but the scoreline sais the essence - Hewitt can't win against Federer. SOmething I'v became aware as soon as after AO 2004.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
What impressed me was that Federer can produce aces at crucial points. (30-40, when it was Hewitt's AD ect.) That's a sign of a true champion when you can produce the right shot at the right time. Also, nice forehand and bh slice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Another indication that Hewitt isn't that far behind the top guys. If he'd done better on his break points it could've been a lot closer. Also lleyton only won 13% of points on Fed's first serve...he really didn't pick it today.

With his ranking, it's a shame he's gonna keep drawing Fed, Rafa or Novak earlier in the tournaments...hopefully he does well again next week.

As for Fed - his forehand today was a thing of beauty. He was virtually half-volleying it a lot of the time. that man is too damn good:worship:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts