Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you see Switzerland winning the Davis Cup?

• 2009 will be their year

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • 2010 will be their year

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • They will win one before Federer retires

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No. They won't win the Davis Cup

Votes: 62 54.4%
1 - 20 of 751 Posts

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that there is a solid number 2 player who also makes a great doubles combination with Federer; do you think that Switzerland's hour might be coming? Do you think that Federer will be more commited to DC? At this point of his career, only slams and prestigeous events like Olympics, TMC and Davis Cup are all he should be going for.

Thoughts??

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Re: Is Switzerland ready?

Roger has always claimed that one day he'd like to win the Davis Cup as well.
As it so far has never been very likely that Switzerland would get very far at all, despite having Feds in their team at times (just to keep 'em in the World Group that is :p) - one Top Player is just not enough to get you there - things might have just changed a little bit in the positive direction for them now that they have a second top ten player with Stan on board, and even more, one that matches up with Fed in the doubles very well as well.

So my guess is that even while it's still unlikely for them to win it (at least I think so), I don't doubt that Fed will indeed be more committed to it. Grab your chances when they come along! :D

·
Registered
9,824 Posts

no.. federer cares too much about individual glory than to take davis cup seriously.

·
Registered
23,711 Posts

With a good draw... why not?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts

Federer when he plays has good results for the team but Wawrinka is the weak link.He barely won today against Darcis and in the past he didn`t perform like he does in atp matches.
Most ties when Federer plays are decided in the doubles which can go either way.
If they avoid away ties in Spain or Argentina they should be fine wherever they play

·
Registered
6,865 Posts

no.. federer cares too much about individual glory than to take davis cup seriously.
I don't think that is entirely true. Even if Federer wanted to win the davis cup I do not think that he would be able do it because the Swiss team is just not strong enough. Wawrinka is too unpredictable to be relied upon so there you go.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Federer assured his presence in the Davis Cup in the next two editions. If only Wawrinka would start to play as an experienced player and not always tremble every time he steps on the court when playing for the DC.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Good news for Switzerland. Now they just need a draw that avoids away matches in Spain, Argentina or Russia.

·
Registered
375 Posts

I have to say that I dont think spain would enjoy playing the swiss at home. If it did ver happen I mean you have to say Nadal has his two single matches the swiss have roger and the doubles. So I ould see that going to five each and everytime.

And witg argentina lets be honest it reall is all about if David wakes up in the moring and if he wants to play. If not that could be an easy tie for the swiss.

So I think they do have a good crack at winning the davis cup. It really all depends on stan to be honest

·
Registered
850 Posts

I don't think that is entirely true. Even if Federer wanted to win the davis cup I do not think that he would be able do it because the Swiss team is just not strong enough. Wawrinka is too unpredictable to be relied upon so there you go.
You are right, they are unfortunately not strong enough as a team. Roger is getting older and Wawrinka is not exactly the strongest Daviscup player.

The chances of winning the whole thing are extremely slim.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Federer assured his presence in the Davis Cup in the next two editions.
;) - not unexpectedly, at least not to me.

If only Wawrinka would start to play as an experienced player and not always tremble every time he steps on the court when playing for the DC.
The more experience he gets, the better a DC-player he will become.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

This is shocking. You would think that with the ammount of fanboys Fed has, a considerable would be convinced that his magic would be enough to pull off Switzerland's greatest victory.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

This is shocking. You would think that with the ammount of fanboys Fed has, a considerable would be convinced that his magic would be enough to pull off Switzerland's greatest victory.
Not all of them are delusional. ;)

Your initial post contained two questions btw:

Now that there is a solid number 2 player who also makes a great doubles combination with Federer; do you think that Switzerland's hour might be coming?
The answer to this one: I don't think so.

Do you think that Federer will be more commited to DC?
And to this one: a solid 'Yes'.

·
Registered
11,617 Posts

No way. Wawrinka is an utter clown who gets pulled to 5 sets against total mugs and can't beat any decent player. See last year's tie against the Czech Republic. :eek:

·
Registered
5,998 Posts

Yes potentially.

2 top 10 players in their team only Spain, and Argentina have a better team really, and they won Olympic gold so they are no doubles mugs either.

·
Registered
955 Posts

No way. Wawrinka is an utter clown who gets pulled to 5 sets against total mugs and can't beat any decent player. See last year's tie against the Czech Republic. :eek:
The swiss team had match point in doubles, but I believe Allegro tanked. Maybe Wawa could perform better should the occasion arise.

1 - 20 of 751 Posts