Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7276154.stm

World number one Roger Federer believes Andy Murray's game has not changed since their first meeting in the Thailand Open final in 2005.
Murray has won the last two of their three career meetings, including victory in the first round of the Dubai Championship on Monday.

"He's going to have to grind very hard for the next few years if he keeps playing this way.

"He tends to wait a lot for the mistake of the opponent," said Federer.

"He stands way far behind on the court and that means you've got to do a lot of running.

"I gave him the mistakes today but I think overall, over a 15-year career, you want to look to win a point more often than for an opponent to miss.

"That's what served me well over the years but who knows, he might surprise us all and do it for 20 years."

"I don't think he's changed his game a whole lot since I played him in the Bangkok final.

"Not that I'm disappointed but I really would have thought he would have changed it in some ways."

But Murray, who beat Federer 6-7 (6-8) 6-3 6-4 in Dubai, said he was surprised by Federer's comments.

"You do different things against different players." said the Scot.

I feel quicker and stronger around the court. Mentally I feel like I'm better.

Andy Murray

"You go and watch my match against Rafael Nadal at the 2007 Australian Open, and I was playing pretty close to the baseline in that match and taking a lot of risks because I think that's the right way to play against him..

"Against Federer I don't think that's the right way to play. I'm not going to play that sort of game against someone that defends as well as Federer does.

"My serve is clearly much better than it was two years ago. I feel quicker and stronger around the court. Mentally I feel like I'm better.

"But there are still some things in my game that I want to improve and it does take some time to put them into the match court. I feel like I've started to do that this year."

:haha: Sour grapes anyone? :lol:

Classy on the defeat as usual this Roger :hatoff:

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Shut up Federer...

Thats Murray's style, get used to it...

It may not be the most exciting way to the play the game but its a style of play many of the greats have used.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Federer should not put too much emphasis on the way Murray plays him. As Murray said, counter punching and waiting for errors is the right way to play against Fed.

Fed does have a point though that Murray sometimes becomes a little too passive.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Just look at Davydenko's game against Federer. Taking the ball extremely early and lots of power. Result? 0-11.

Maybe Murray's game is one way to beat Federer.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just look at Davydenko's game against Federer. Taking the ball extremely early and lots of power. Result? 0-11.

Maybe Murray's game is one way to beat Federer.
It´s more like Murray is a class above that fixer

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
16 service games, made almost double number of aces and not a single break point faced. That´s not bad for a pusher, no, Roger?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Fed, oh please, every time you say this bullshit after a bad loss. Nadal, Djokovic, Murray...
We are tired of these comments. As a matter of fact YOU didn't change your game too. You still count on opponents to choke. I guess it won't do you any good anymore.

Reactions: schorsch

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Burro, will you be around to celebrate Nadal next humiliation? :confused: methink you'll vanish like a coward as always... you're so predictable ;)

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Burro, will you be around to celebrate Nadal next humiliation? :confused: methink you'll vanish like a coward as always... you're so predictable ;)
I´m not the one who cries when a fav player of his loses, I´m not like you :shrug: Even if Nadal is double bagelled by Kohlschreiber today I will still laugh when reading this thread :lol:

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I don't find Murray's style all that consuming :shrug:

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
I´m not the one who cries when a fav player of his loses, I´m not like you :shrug: Even if Nadal is double bagelled by Kohlschreiber today I will still laugh when reading this thread :lol:
You're more a Fed hater than a Nadal fan, right? :hug: I knew you were too smart to cheer on a dirtballer like Rafito :)

1 - 20 of 217 Posts