1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Could make sense, if he plays just two clay tourneys before RG and skips grass preparation prior to Wimbledon.

I wonder if DV will feel vindicated already as he's sure to interpret this as confirmation to the impending retirement at the end of 2019.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Yes, he should. Seeing him embarrass himself on ther surface where botting doesn't work will be delicious. Can see him losing to players like Munoz de la Nava or Carballes Baena.
Still, I think he'll chicken out as he usually does.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Yes for the lols

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I knew this is gonna happen the moment Djokovic completed the Golden Masters.

Djoker's accomplishment will encourage Fed to give Monte Carlo and Rome another go and I really hope he does.

I want to see him play clay to win both and skip RG since he has no chance whatever. He can play RG one more time in his last year on tour.

Golden Fed would sound as cool as Golden Nole. :sport:

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Absolutely not. The reason why he lost Wimbledon is not because he skipped clay but because he played Stuttgart Halle B2B. He is so old now that he can't do B2B tournaments specially with no rest days in between. Had he only played one of Stuttgart/Halle, he would've atleast made the Wim final if not win it.

Also his confidence was shot after losing to pony in the IW final. That final has cost him more than he anticipated as after that final he didn't clutch out any wins.

·
|
14,300 Posts
I think 2019 will be the year of surprises - and that's no surprise, because MTF failed miserably to predict 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2017.
2019 will probably be something like Federer wins Roland Garros, Nadal wins Australian Open+Wimbledon, and Zverev wins US Open.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I am very happy with the news, not because Fed might play clay, as that would be utterly wrong. He won't win anything on that surface, the only thing he can gain out of clay is an injury.

I am happy because the old man still has fire in his belly
"Just because I want to do it," Federer said. "It's a full-on passion thing.".
He ain't going nowhere folks, only an injury can stop him. He is still thinking about the game, what he plans to do. He is planning a full year ahead.

That's what champions do. They plan ahead. In a recent interview Jeff Bezos said:
"Friends congratulate me after a quarterly-earnings announcement and say, 'Good job, great quarter,' and I'll say, 'Thank you, but that quarter was baked three years ago.' I'm working on a quarter that'll happen in 2021 right now."

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I don't buy it. He was asked the question, and just like for this year he left the door open to keep fans' hopes up. But that doesn't say anything about his true intentions.
That being said, it could happen if he decides it's his last year. He may be considering it now, given his latest results.
Exactly this.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
He should play and honestly he should have already entered the clay season last year and this year, he would've swept the clay season with his new improved game. He would've beat Nadal in MC 2017 and then he would've won the rest as well. Playing half-volleys right on the baseline and rushing the opponent is the most suitable style for clay tennis, the history has shown that.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Would be a bad move since his Wimbledon preparation will be hindered but if he has to play then early tournament like MC or Madrid.RG should be avoided.

Also playing Stuttgart and halle in consecutive weeks should be avoided.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts