Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Great to see. The Australian Swing will be packed..

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Everyone needs to be in Australia very early this year. Like Dec 15
They have to be in Australia before January 4th (AO starts Jan.18), at least, to satisfy the 2-week quarantine. The players can celebrate Christmas, and some of them, even New Year, with their families before their arrival in Australia.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They have to be in Australia before January 4th (AO starts Jan.18), at least, to satisfy the 2-week quarantine. The players can celebrate Christmas, and some of them, even New Year, with their families before their arrival in Australia.
Johnny is right. Don't forget ATP Cup. If it's held, of course. Everyone but Federer participated this year.

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
That's a recommendation and only if they want to play the warm ups
Meaning, everyone who has any aspirations of doing well

But that means that they will have to protect points from Australia as well?
That is yet to be known but we will see. Looks like 2021 we go back to normal

It's not even about the quarantine, it is about having several weeks of proper training before starting the AO. If I fly down there on the 15th, quarantine 2 weeks. Now I have a good week of training to get in ahead of the ATP Cup and then that week of tournament, then another week of training, and finally the AO

Of course, players are free to do a Paire and show up last second, and plenty will, but if you are serious about doing well in AO, you need to get your ass down there mid-December

·
Registered
179 Posts
I mean tennis will get to normal when there are not quarantines, corona tests etc. Looks like that will not happen in Australia. That means that only logical thing will be to protect points until Indian Wells. I mean what do you want? ATP to protect Rafa's points in tournaments which he won and to not do the same with Novak? I expected you to be more objective.

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
I mean tennis will get to normal when there are not quarantines, corona tests etc. Looks like that will not happen in Australia. That means that only logical thing will be to protect points until Indian Wells. I mean what do you want? ATP to protect Rafa's points in tournaments which he won and to not do the same with Novak? I expected you to be more objective.
Get mad at ATP not me, I don't make the rules

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Johnny is right. Don't forget ATP Cup. If it's held, of course. Everyone but Federer participated this year.
Those were pre-pandemic times. "Everyone," the word does not sound right, right now. We are in pandemic times. To spend 45 days in Australia in the current state of affairs, I'm not totally sure many top players will play ATP cup.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Meaning, everyone who has any aspirations of doing well

It's not even about the quarantine, it is about having several weeks of proper training before starting the AO. If I fly down there on the 15th, quarantine 2 weeks. Now I have a good week of training to get in ahead of the ATP Cup and then that week of tournament, then another week of training, and finally the AO

Of course, players are free to do a Paire and show up last second, and plenty will, but if you are serious about doing well in AO, you need to get your ass down there mid-December
Murray agrees with you: Andy Murray plans to play as much as possible before the end of the year

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Especially considering the climate, of course. I don't think I could hack playing tennis in Australia, even when I was fit. I don't think I would want to do it.

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
Good, another beatdown in the semis incoming for Olderer. :giggle:

Reactions: Idemo

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
But that means that they will have to protect points from Australia as well?
Yes, very likely. Darren Cahill said that was on the cards. Since Australia will be in a bubble and players need to quarantine for weeks, some players may either not be able or not be willing to risk coming to Australia. As a result, their points need to be protected, just like they were for the other three slams.

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
Yes, very likely. Darren Cahill said that was on the cards. Since Australia will be in a bubble and players need to quarantine for weeks, some players may either not be able or not be willing to risk coming to Australia. As a result, their points need to be protected, just like they were for the other three slams.
It would make sense and be fair that all points until the stoppage at IW should be protected

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
Especially considering the climate, of course. I don't think I could hack playing tennis in Australia, even when I was fit. I don't think I would want to do it.
Well that's what it is. Who WANTS to do it. The wheat is separated from the chaff long before the matches begin

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'v been bitching about this for weeks. If they don't apply the same rules they're applying now it's extremely unfair to players who did well in early 2020. The points gained at that time would basically only be useful for six months on the tour while points gained in the late summer / fall in 2019 are useful for 18 months on the tour or so. Players who did well back then keep their points from US Open 2019 until early September 2021 while players keep their points from Australian Open 2020 until early February 2020.

Let's not even talk about the big guns. Let's talk about players ranked around 100 (the cut-off for GS). If you made R3 in New York last year those 90 points (which is a lot of points in those regions of the rankings) will stay on your ranking for 2 years (1 1/2 years of actual tennis). You get the chance to build up your ranking based on those points for approx. 60 weeks of tennis. Another player ranked around 100 who reached R3 in Melbourne this year only has like 20 weeks of tennis to use those 90 points to get into certain tournaments. How can that be right?

I really hope they take this into consideration when they decide what to do with points from early 2020 because their current plan really is EXTREMELY unfair.

That would be good news and the only sensible thing to do, IMO.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts