Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another impact of Fed's yesterday's win is that he is officially qualified for the tour ending finale. It means that he made it for the 13th consecutive time, quite an achievement in his long line of achievements. He also breaks from the tie with Lendl, who did it 12 times (1980-91). This means 13 consecutive top8 finishes. Amazing that he has done it in the unified ATP era. If he remains healthy and motivated, there's no reason he can't extend it to 15 and maybe beyond..

If anybody want to compile a list of those who did it 10+ times, feel free. Agassi must be up there, although not in consecutive years..

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
The appearances are another thing. Nadal for instance, has qualified for 10 straight times (including this year). He didn't participate on 3 occasions though, so he only has 6 appearances.

Sampras (11), Lendl (12) and Federer (13) are the only players to have 10+ consecutive qualifications and appearances in WTF.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The appearances are another thing. Nadal for instance, has qualified for 10 straight times (including this year). He didn't participate on 3 occasions though, so he only has 6 appearances.

Sampras (11), Lendl (12) and Sampras (13) are the only players to have 10+ consecutive qualifications and appearances in WTF.
True that. I consider qualification for records, not withdrawing due to injury. Nadal's number is very impressive as well and is likely to grow..

·
Registered
301 Posts
True that. I consider qualification for records, not withdrawing due to injury. Nadal's number is very impressive as well and is likely to grow..
What is even more impressive is that out of these 13 straight qualifications, he won 6 titles. Nadal is still seeking his forst despite 10 straight qualifications. Qualifications are nice, but winning the event makes them impressive

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
What is even more impressive is that out of these 13 straight qualifications, he won 6 titles. Nadal is still seeking his forst despite 10 straight qualifications. Qualifications are nice, but winning the event makes them impressive
he won 6 from 12. Could be 7 from 13 ;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I predict a change in this thread topic, once Rafa qualification was discovered.

Another record broken and milestone for that matter.

We are still a few months away from it, doesnt he have to play to keep this record?

Is it apearences or qualifications?

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
I predict a change in this thread topic, once Rafa qualification was discovered.

We are still a few months away from it, doesnt he have to play to keep this record?

It's both, Federer has always appeared after qualifying. 13 times in a row qualified. 12 times in a row (for now) appeared.
Nadal's current consecutive appearance record is 3 (2009-2011). And his consecutive qualification record is 10 (2005-2014).

Federer's consecutive appearance record cannot possibly be broken by Nadal. The qualification one is easier, but it's also easy for Federer to increase it.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It's both, Federer has always appeared after qualifying. 13 times in a row qualified. 12 times in a row (for now) appeared.
Nadal's current consecutive appearance record is 3 (2009-2011). And his consecutive qualification record is 10 (2005-2014).

Federer's consecutive appearance record cannot possibly be broken by Nadal. The qualification one is easier, but it's also easy for Federer to increase it.
Are you serious? Easy for the big 4. The rest of the atp only after USopen qualify.
Its anything but easy to qualify. In Rafa´s case it easier to qualify rather then play, due to his injuries or when he gave DC more importance then WTF.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
Are you serious? Easy for the big 4. The rest of the atp only after USopen qualify.
Its anything but easy to qualify. In Rafa´s case it easier to qualify rather then play, due to his injuries or when he gave DC more importance then WTF.
I was talking only about Rafa when I said it's easier. Not the rest of the tour obviously.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
:worship:

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
And I think this is another nail in the coffin of the utterly stupid "weak era" argument, Federer has qualified amongst the top 8 players in the world for 13 straight years, playing at least 4 different generations, always making it through there regardless of rivals.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts

He's already broken the record for consecutive years of being qualified (13), but as you correctly state, he won't break the record for consecutive appearances until he's actually turned up to play. Still tied with Lendl there on 12.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts