Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Can we hijack this and make it the WTF cheering thread? :p Go Roger!! :cheerleader:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
As you know, the tournament is now the ATP Finals (ATP World Tour Finals from 2009–2016, Tennis Masters Cup from 2000–2008). Roger hasn't won it since 2011 and lost to Djokovic in his last two finals (he withdrew from the 2014 final, of course). (Djokovic had only won it once before 2012, but then won four in a row before losing to Murray in 2016.)

If Roger manages to win it this time, finishing the year with 100 titles, anything he achieves in 2019 – possibly his last season – will feel like a bonus.

Can he make it a great end to the season?

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Ugh... the TV station that had the morning match is not showing this one... so they can show the same football game on three of their channels. :rolleyes:

Luckily they are providing a stream. (Bit lagging, but it'll have to do.) Go Roger! :cheerleader:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Remember when Fed didn't suck at tiebreaks? :sobbing:

Nishikori has hit some unbelievable shots (and been a bit lucky maybe) but Roger made so many errors -- his frustration is showing.

First set to Nishikori, 7-6 :frown2:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Kei and Roger exchanging early Xmas presents.... so nice.

:smash: :banghead: :explode:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Fed is so bad today :sobbing: Nishi leads 2nd set 5-2 :sad:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
terrible

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
We've seen too many lacklustre performances from Roger this year. I was expecting more from him today, so this was very disappointing.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Well, this result sucks. Things are so up and down (more down) for Roger right now. Of course he can still produce dome magic, but the 37 yr old elephant in the room won't go away. You can tell he is frustrated; either something is still off physically, or the decline form age which causes so much inconsistency is at play.

Anyhoo, lets hope he can regroup and get a positive result next match.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Well, this result sucks. Things are so up and down (more down) for Roger right now. Of course he can still produce dome magic, but the 37 yr old elephant in the room won't go away. You can tell he is frustrated; either something is still off physically, or the decline form age which causes so much inconsistency is at play.
What I don't understand is that this tournament is obviously one he wants to win, as he said in Paris, and his form definitely appeared to be improving, but yesterday's match was more like the Cincinnati final. It actually looked as if he was out of practice, or under-motivated, which doesn't make sense. Did nerves get the better of him?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It would hardly be the first time he's cancelled a training session - but can anyone remember the cause for the other times? (Actually, I happen to think a Shanghai one might have been down to having too much fun at a sponsor's event the night before?)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Actually, Roger has had problems adjusting to the court at the O2 in his first match before - but this was still :spit:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What I don't understand is that this tournament is obviously one he wants to win, as he said in Paris, and his form definitely appeared to be improving, but yesterday's match was more like the Cincinnati final. It actually looked as if he was out of practice, or under-motivated, which doesn't make sense. Did nerves get the better of him?
Until we hear anything concrete we don't know; however, my speculation is that his decline due to aging is frustrating him, and he is having trouble dealing with the inconsistencies. I think he has had some problems physically this year (we did hear about the hand) which can be expected with his age. I think it is hard to adjust to this time in his career for such a proud champion. He probably starts feeling good about his game, to then turn around and struggle - I think he is feeling the effects of this new normal and he is annoyed, worried, tentative, nervous, and a bit grumpy at times. He can still produce some magic I believe, but sustained levels of brilliance will be hard to come by, and I think he knows that. Not writing off a big win or two yet, but not expecting it either.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Dreading the next match after the Nishikori shitshow. :(

Hard to believe that he actually won the AO not even a year ago. Seems like a miracle now.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Until we hear anything concrete we don't know; however, my speculation is that his decline due to aging is frustrating him, and he is having trouble dealing with the inconsistencies. I think he has had some problems physically this year (we did hear about the hand) which can be expected with his age. I think it is hard to adjust to this time in his career for such a proud champion. He probably starts feeling good about his game, to then turn around and struggle - I think he is feeling the effects of this new normal and he is annoyed, worried, tentative, nervous, and a bit grumpy at times. He can still produce some magic I believe, but sustained levels of brilliance will be hard to come by, and I think he knows that. Not writing off a big win or two yet, but not expecting it either.
Yes, I think so.

Benneteau's recent allegations perhaps playing a part, too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts