Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
his schedule will be crazy in october ! he doesn't like that normally. 4 tournaments in 4 weeks : that's stupid !
maybe he is more worried about his first place than what he says ...
but that's not good for his body.
i don't like that at all ...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
As I wrote in the general forum, he'll probably play Stockholm and Madrid, then bow out of Basel due to exhaustion and then play Paris.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Why play Stockholm over Basel? :confused: Plus I thought he was under contract with Basel :shrug:

Utter nonsense...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
He won't drop Basel.

Stockholm is a weird desicion, though. Why sign up now, he can always sign up later/get a WC if he sees it is getting tight on points for the Year end number 1.

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Weird desicion :help:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Indeed, he's sending the signal that "I'm doing everything to defend my No.1 ranking".

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Indeed, he's sending the signal that "I'm doing everything to defend my No.1 ranking".
Sure looks like that!

Which is weird for now, as the season has only just started - Stockholm is WAY away from now, there's first Dubai/IW/Miami AND the whole clay court season coming up - why not wait and see how he'll be doing there first before signing up to an optional in October? :confused:

As much as I like him to play more optionals, it sure sounds like there's a bit of panicking going on in the Fed camp. Hope I'm wrong about this, of course.

Perhaps the Stockholm TD offered him a very nice pay cheque indeed. :angel:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
We don't know he'll drop Basel.

There's no way that would be this choice, I don't see Roger making a choice like that, I just don't.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Which is weird for now, as the season has only just started - Stockholm is WAY away from now, there's first Dubai/IW/Miami AND the whole clay court season coming up - why not wait and see how he'll be doing there first before signing up to an optional in October? :confused:
Well, if he does nothing or very little in Dubai/IW/Miami/on clay, Stockholm will be useless (is this what are you hoping for?).
It's obvious that he'll not be winning all hc events this year. Thus, maintaining his ranking without playing (preferably winning) 5 optionals is impossible.
Btw, WCs are not always available. In 1998 Sampras had to borrow a WC from Becker.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
I don't think money is a deciding factor for Roger to arrange his schedule. If this would be the case he would surely play more tournaments a year ;)

The tournament in Stockholm is celebrating its 40th year anniversary and his decision to participate there this year has maybe to do with it :shrug:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Well, if he does nothing or very little in Dubai/IW/Miami/on clay, Stockholm will be useless (is this what are you hoping for?)
Stockholm, in that case, will be as useless any other tournament he adds to his schedule. I hope for quite the contrary, btw - that he'll be able to defend his points in Dubai and during the clayseason to a reasonable extent (I don't expect him to defend all of them to be honest), and that he might be able to add a few points by doing well in IW and Miami. Should he manage that he'll at least secure his position before RG and Wimbly.

Then, if he manages to do well there, he can still decide whether it's time to add an additional tournament or not. So in all - this decision, made some 9 months in advance, is rather puzzling to me.

I don't think money is a deciding factor for Roger to arrange his schedule. If this would be the case he would surely play more tournaments a year ;)

The tournament in Stockholm is celebrating its 40th year anniversary and his decision to participate there this year has maybe to do with it :shrug:
I know Roger has plenty in his wallet - I was just trying to find reasons. :p
Ah, that 40th year anniversary - that at least makes some sense, IMHO. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Then, if he manages to do well there, he can still decide whether it's time to add an additional tournament or not. So in all - this decision, made some 9 months in advance, is rather puzzling to me.

I thought that last season showed that staying No1 at the end of the year without playing optionals is a very difficult/risky task. Sorry, I don't have enough time for math lessons.

I'm sure, both TFA and Djoker are planning to play at least 5 optionals. Until Fed admits that he's a senior citizen of the tour (gives up on the ranking), it shouldn't be any different for him.

What's the fuss about planning 9 month in advance? So, it's ok for Nadal, Djoker, Murray to plan their numerous optionals 12 month in advance, but it's not OK for Fed to plan his 5 optionals 9 month in advance?

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Sure looks like that!

As much as I like him to play more optionals, it sure sounds like there's a bit of panicking going on in the Fed camp. Hope I'm wrong about this, of course.

I do remember last summer when things were tight some were saying it wouldn't kill Roger to play an optional (like Indy). I don't think signing up for an event that's happening in October is panicking. But I do think it's a bit odd it wasn't on the schedule he released...so maybe the 40th anniversary of the event has something to do with him playing (and a nice appearance fee of course) and it wasn't something he originally had planned into his schedule? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts