Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will end up with a better Grand Slam semifinals record ?

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before US Open 2010, Federer was 22-3 in Grand Slam SFs (3 losses came against Safin, Nadal and Djokovic).
At the moment, Nadal is 20-3 in Grand Slam SFs (3 losses came against Tsonga, Murray and del Potro).

However, from US Open 2010 on, Federer is 3-7 in GS SFs. It means he's 25-10 now.

Do you think Nadal will maintain his impressive Slam semis record or will he follow Federer's path ?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
everyone declines..the only way he maintains his 'impressive slam semi's record' is if he keeps losing before even getting there.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the way Nadal's health is atm he won't even get the chance to worsen it like Fed did
Good point, usually when Nadal plays a non-Wimbledon Slam, he's a safe bet to reach the final (every time since 2010, with the exception of AO 2011). I doubt Nadal will play many more Slam SFs, so I don't think Federer will end up with a better record.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
People writing Nadal off as in 'won't reach semifinals anymore' are stupid.

With the way the field is atm, if his body is healthy, he's a favourite against anyone bar Djokovic perhaps to win the match in a SF at the AO, FO and USO. I doubt he will play 12 more SF, but he will play enough of them and I think he will win the majority before he retires.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
People writing Nadal off as in 'won't reach semifinals anymore' are stupid.

With the way the field is atm, if his body is healthy, he's a favourite against anyone bar Djokovic perhaps to win the match in a SF at the AO, FO and USO. I doubt he will play 12 more SF, but he will play enough of them and I think he will win the majority before he retires.
Could be true. The difference between Nadal and Murray is that the former comes back in slam winning form from his career threatening injuries.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Fed's ranking started to fall as Djokovic + Nadal became the top 2 in 2011, which meant Roger faced Rafa in the semis at the AO twice in that time, and he lost 4 times to Djokovic in Slam SFs in that same time period (he did manage to beat him twice in Slam SFs). He lost to Murray in 5 sets in Australia last year, and beat Raonic at Wimbledon this year.

It's natural to decline as you get older, Rafa's stats will suffer this same fate unless he retires early.

3,728 Posts

Semifinals #
1. Australia Ken Rosewall 52
2. United States Bill Tilden 36
3. Switzerland Roger Federer 33
4. Australia Rod Laver 32
5. United States Jimmy Connors 31
6. United States Pancho Gonzales 29
7. Czechoslovakia Ivan Lendl 28
8. United States Andre Agassi 26
9. United States Don Budge 26
10. United States Pete Sampras 23

3,728 Posts

All 4 semifinals Year

Australia Jack Crawford 1933
United Kingdom Fred Perry 1934
United States Don Budge 1938
Australia Frank Sedgman 1952
United States Lew Hoad 1956
Australia Rod Laver 1961
Australia Rod Laver (2) 1962
Australia Rod Laver (3) 1969
Australia Tony Roche 1969
Czechoslovakia Ivan Lendl 1987
Switzerland Roger Federer 2005
Switzerland Roger Federer (2) 2006
Switzerland Roger Federer (3) 2007
Switzerland Roger Federer (4) 2008
Spain Rafael Nadal 2008
Switzerland Roger Federer (5) 2009
Serbia Novak Djokovic 2011
United Kingdom Andy Murray 2011
Serbia Novak Djokovic(2) 2012
Serbia Novak Djokovic(3) 2013

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
If Rafa plays like that i mean he to miss GS' so it possible. But let say Fed now gets to #2 or YE#1 and Rafa comes back to play AO 15 but he is in Novak' half of draw. So he will be in SF with Djokovic and Murray in QF as Fed was for years.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Before US Open 2010, Federer was 19-3 in Grand Slam SFs (3 losses came against Safin, Nadal and Djokovic).
At the moment, Nadal is 17-3 in Grand Slam SFs (3 losses came against Tsonga, Murray and del Potro).

However, from US Open 2010 on, Federer is 3-7 in GS SFs. It means he's 22-10 now.

Do you think Nadal will maintain his impressive Slam semis record or will he follow Federer's path ?
22-10? Interesting to have played 25 finals with only 22 SFs won.

Nadal should also be credited for making 20 finals after winning only 17 SFs.

Correct are 25-10 and 20-3.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It all depends when and at what level Nadal stops playing. I don't expect him to be around near the top of the game as long as Federer, if so this will probably preserve a "better" semifinal record.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Nailed it.

People have been saying this since RG09.

And still going strong. He wont last forever, he knows this so hes been changing some thing in the way he plays.

Unlike somone we know who never changed or adapted.

Grass SF is out of the equation, but Clay will be there for the next 2-3 years.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Nadal is 20-0 in semis not 20-3, he's unbeaten when healthy, get it right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts