Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger Federer has admitted that the main reason for his inability to add to his record of 16 Grand Slams over the last two years was due to a severe drop in confidence.

The Swiss great's last major title came at the 2010 Australian Open and many believe that his game has declined significantly ever since. Even people who bet on Andy Murray will know this.

However, he insists his game is still as strong as ever and says his problems have been mainly down to "a bit of confidence not on my side and on my opponent's side."

"I've had some tough losses over the past couple of years," Federer said.

Federer is currently taking part in the Dubai Duty Free Championship and is set to come up against a number of his rivals in the Middle East with world number one Novak Djokovic and Britain's Andy Murray also in action. Those who bet on tennis need to bear this in mind.

The world number three was previously at the top of the rankings for 285 weeks, a week shorter than the record held by American Peter Sampras, in a six year spell that saw him dominate men's tennis.

Due to his lack of success over the last few seasons, many believe he is now winding down his career and with a young family will soon start to look towards retirement.

However, the 'Fed Express' has recently returned to form with three recent wins and says he believes he's still good enough to get back to number one.

"I feel if I play really well until the U.S. Open, then obviously there is a shot. But then again there is a shot for about 10 players," Federer said. "I am aware I'm not the only one. But I feel like I'm on a good run right now. I've won a lot of tournaments in a short time, which gives me a lot of confidence."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts