Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the romanticizing about that year, Federer right now is playing better pure technical tennis then then. In fact he's probably hitting his forehand even better. It's just that the 11 titles and undefeated against top 10 and in finals clouds that. Particularly his serve is clicking right now better then ever.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
you may as well discuss this in my thread: OPEN ERA.#greatest calendar years#~~ where both of FED`s 2004 & 2007 seasons are discussed in depth<:)

##
anyway it`s obvious that FED 2007 is a much more complete, smart & confident player than 2004!!

2004 was a major breakout year for him & set the standards of what we could expect from him*@@*

backhand is definitely better, clay court nous is better, serve is better!!!

in 2004 some of his forehands may have been hit harder but now he uses spin more effectively & esp on big points!!

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just watched some video of the 2004 US Open final and while Fed was absolutely superb in that, he looks better now.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Fed plays more solidly, on a consistent basis in 2007. In 2004 he was more spectacular. I think that 2004 Fed playing at his peak would take down 2007 Fed playing at his....but 2007 Fed would usually win due to being consistently excellent....instead of supurb on occassion.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Every time Federer loses a match we can read the same bullshit:

"He´s well past his peak, told ya so"
"He´s not as dominant as before, told ya so"
"He´s no longer the player he once was"
"His forehand is mediocre now"
"His bh is worst than Karlovic´s"

Talk about paranoid and clueless tits :rolleyes:

Reality is there´s (at worst) absolutely no sign of Federer decreasing his level, and I´m one of those convinced he´s a better player today than 2 years ago

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I can assure you he is NOT hitting a better forehand than 2004. His 2004-2005 balance was PERFECT. Where as in 2006 and 2007 he started changing a bit of his open stance rotation/stroke and sort of lost it a bit.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Serve - 2007 >>> 2004
Forehand - 2004 > 2007
Backhand - 2007 > 2004
Volley - 2004 = 2007 (It dipped in '05 and '06 but is better now)
Movement - 2004 > 2007
Tactics - 2007 > 2004

I'd say overall it's pretty close. Seeing as his FH is his main weapon, yes Federer is a complete player but he wouldn't be winning slams with the BH as a main weapon, I'd say that 2004 Federer was more aggressive from the baseline and could play outrageous tennis that we see far more rarely these days. In 2004 Federer would rather hit a 1/10 running forehand for a winner than hit a 8/10 defensive forehand to stay in a point and I don't think that's true anymore. 2007 Federer has far more defensive options. the slice BH and squash shot FH were always amazing but he now has a more clay style defensive Fh with big net clearance and uses that to great effect.

I'd say it's a similar level of play overall just with a few differences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts