Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Improved competition, combined with losing several less sets in the slams, with defending his overall slam results = case closed.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Canas is not improved competition. Nor Volandri.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at Fed's slam final opponents in 2007 compared to 2006:

2006 - Baggy, Nadal, Roddick
2007 - Fena, Nadal, Djoko

2007 > 2006

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you're saying these players and many others have not improved their level at all?
In all fairness, Volandri is a mug. I count Rome as a fatigue-loss.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Id say 2007 < 2006.

Fed isnt the player he was a year ago. He is starting to lose that aura.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see any lost aura until: either he loses in AO/Wimby/USO/YEC. While he continues to defend those titles, the aura remains. Sure, it'd be nice if he wons 4 MS instead of 2, but we know he was half-arsing it this year after the Sampras meeting.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sure, and I'm a big fan of that Sampras credo, but he is *definitely* losing some aura. He did not want to lose to Canas the second time around, and he definitely did not want to lose to Nole leading up the USO. And, believe me, he would have rathered not be down all those set points in the USO final. Two losses to Nalbandian at the end of the year confirm that he's about 4/5 of what he was last year.

Still incredible...and you're right, as long as he continues to put the slams on the board, you can't fault him, but he is not the player he was last year. Form-wise, he's being *touched* by several players now. Whether they can put it together consistently enough to actually affect his numbers, I don't know, but he didn't have these losses in '06. He's lost a little something for sure. I can't wait to see '08.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
last year, he lost to 2 men : Nadal and Murray.

This year: Nadal, Djokovic, Fat Dave, Volandri and Canas.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Someone is really campaigning for his next round on ACC :lol:

Seriously talking now, Fed suffered more loses this year, also won less titles and had less victories, so If 2007>2006, I'd say NO.

·
Registered
454 Posts
And he's still no closer to winning the French, only closer to losing Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
2006 was a much more dominating year, overall.

However, his performances in the slams this year have been outstanding. Apart from in the finals, where he's played quite passivley.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
no he uses Aces a lot , he doesn't want to play ,,,

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Love the logic in use. Grand slam opponents :eek: Pathetic! I hope you get Fedtard of the year award.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aces are part of the game. Kudos to those who can execute them. I will never forget Fed's 3-ace service game at *4-2 in the 5th set. Didn't give Nadal any whiff of hope. That's what champions do.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love the logic in use. Grand slam opponents :eek: Pathetic! I hope you get Fedtard of the year award.
Pathetic? Look that Wimby:

3rd round - Safin
QF - JCF
SF - Gasquet
F - Nadal

USO

4th round - Feli playing unconscious
QF - in-form Roddick
SF - tough Fixer
F - Djoko in first GS final ready to take big scalp

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
No Federer has looked average in almost all tournies outside slams. And before anyone says I KNOW the slams far outweigh any tournie, but the question is of a comparison between Fed 06 and 07, Fed 06 was far more dominant overall.

In 07 has relied on his reputation to win him some matches rather than his good play (i.e Wimbledon final, USO final).

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
So you're saying these players and many others have not improved their level at all?
I'm saying that Federer did not lose to the likes of Canas and Volandri in 2007.

That's ok. Federer is a allowed to take a step back.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts