Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of this decade I ve decade to make a comparision between best players in this decades.Some of the numbers are incredibly even but which decade was better ?

Grand Slam titles-15-15
Grand Slam Finals 21-23
Years with grand Slam 7-8
Masters 16- 29 !!/The only Big difference between two /
Titles 61-61 Amazing how both won exact same number of titles
Yean End Number 1 -5-5
ATP Tour Finals 4-4

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
all great numbers for sure, but let that sink in: wimby finals H2H 0-3.
nole is called the BOAT for a reason.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
At the end of this decade I ve decade to make a comparision between best players in this decades.Some of the numbers are incredibly even but which decade was better ?

Grand Slam titles-15-15
Grand Slam Finals 21-23
Years with grand Slam 7-8
Masters 16- 29 !!/The only Big difference between two /
Titles 61-61 Amazing how both won exact same number of titles
Yean End Number 1 -5-5
ATP Tour Finals 4-4
Similar achievement, but one from weak era, and the other, strong era.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The decade ends on Dec 31st 2020 not 2019

Technically, you are correct. There was no "0" year, so the first decade (AD) consisted of the years 1 to 10. So, keeping this in mind, a decade should really end on a year ending in "0."

But culturally, very few people observe this. As a result, it ultimately boils down to a person's frame of reference. :)

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Difficult to compare. Federer had brutal competition all throughout the 2000’s while Djokovic achieved his stats mostly by feasting on mugs, the old, and clay courters
This isn't far off. Novak has had no younger great player, competing with him for the top prizes, period. One can't count single major winners like perennially injured Delpo, or otherwise impaired Cilic.
Federer has had at least 2 great younger players continuously since 2005 and 2008 (some might say earlier, but I only count from the time they won their first major), if you don't count 3 time major winners Murray and Wawrinka. I'm almost sure that Novak will not be able to endure a younger great multi-slam winner once he arrives.

Think about like this. How much more would Roger have achieved without significantly younger RAFA and Novak. How many majors? How many Grand Slams? How many Masters, how many whatever? This is the advantage Novak has enjoyed.

Of course it isn't Nole's fault that we have no slam winner under 31 years of age, and there is no doubt he has performed awesomely, but it makes it very difficult to compare their records. By the way, RAFA, and Roger to a lesser extent, have also enjoyed the fact that there have been no major winners under 31 years, but Novak being the youngest, and RAFA a year older, have been positioned to take the most advantage of relative weakness of the twenty-somethings through the two thousand-teens...

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think it's comparable in the sense that beginning of decades were arbitrarily made by people. I think I'd be more fair if we'd compare the beginning of their peak and the 10 years since. Djokovic coincidentally started his peak at the beginning os 2011, but Federer started at 2003, so effectively we're counting 9 years against 7.
I think it'd be fairer if we'd compared 2003-2012 to 2010-2019

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
it would've fair comparison IF Fed was born in 1977... so he would peaked in 2000 and have the whole decade of 2000s at his disposal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts