Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Winning in Paris is easy. Winning in London way harder. Just ask some people from history.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Winning in Paris is easy. Winning in London way harder. Just ask some people from history.
Nah, these both were incredibly easy. We, Danes, just needed to have 20 beers in the belly and a vivid picture of an eternal supply of beer with all our dead mates in Valhalla.

Paris might have been a tiny bit easier because their women taste really good.

Like taking candy from children.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Nah, these both were incredibly easy. We, Danes, just needed to have 20 beers in the belly and a vivid picture of an eternal supply of beer with all our dead mates in Valhalla.

Paris might have been a tiny bit easier because their women taste really good.

Like taking candy from children.
And that's exactly how vikings became the roman empire's mercenaries.

Go try to make anyone believe that. Good luck.

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Any chance old Federer has to upset either Nadal or Djokovic, he has to take it, if nothing else than to stop them from getting any closer to his records. The numbers are close enough as it is

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Only because there was no Clay Monster in Paris at that time. Times have changed.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Fed is more grounded than his tards. He knows this court isn't perfect for him, so he's taking this opportunity as a warmup for O2. There are aspects of his game that need tuning, and that's what he's trying to do. Even if he doesn't win London at least he'll know what to work on in the off-season. Good to see he's not ready to pack his bags just yet.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
I'm glad he is realistically. his performance since wimby is shaky

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm glad he is realistically. his performance since wimby is shaky
I suspect he is testing himself. He won't publicly admit it but he knows his game is inconsistent whether it be confidence, fitness, or nerves(he constantly mentions how his mind goes places during matches) and he is unsure as to what to do.

His recent mini-streaks of DFs and inability to put 1st serves in play are probably most concerning cause those are just gifts for opponents. Those free points were one of his greatest advantages over every other player, not just for their point value but for his longevity. If you include service winners, that's a lot of points where he didn't have to go running around wearing down his body. He has over 10000 aces plus maybe 15000 or more(just a guess but it has to more than the ace number) service winners. That's a lot of free games over a 20 year career.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, and he knows this, he is getting old and the issues which affect aging pro tennis players are popping up more frequently in his matches. To his credit, he has mitigated the impact of age like no one before him but he will succumb eventually.

I am still waiting for him to enter a losing streak phase where the tennis world pulls for him not as a serious threat on tour but as almost a pitiful but joyful support for the old horse being put out to pasture (like Connors at the '91 US Open). I don't know if that phase will ever happen because despite his love for the game (I have never seen any player who loves tennis more than him), unless he feels he is able to compete at the highest level, he won't hang around to be trashed on court by players not worthy to carry his bag when he was shiny and new.

No one, even Fed himself, knows how he will truly deal with the end, despite his public pronouncements of his feelings on the matter.

The outcome of his performance in Paris and London will probably give him a more accurate gauge of his personal expectations heading to 2019. Play less, play more, retire :crying: ok, probably not retire.:grin2:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts