Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Federer recapture the no.1 ranking?

• Yes

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 42 57.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Fed wins Cincy the race rankings will be.

1 Djokovic 7430
2. Nadal 6650
3. Federer 6160.

Also he is currently the best player at the moment being in the wimby, toronto and cincy finals.
Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are in poor form at the moment.

It's funny but Fed may be the last man standing when all is said and done despite being 5 years older.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
No chance. Let me rephrase that, Not a chance in hell

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Realistically (although perhaps other permutations are possible), Federer would need to win or go very deep at US Open, with Djokovic and Nadal both losing early, in order to claim YE1.

I don't see that happening. When was the last time Nadal or Djokovic didn't at least make the semis of a major?

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
If Fed wins Cincy the race rankings will be.

1 Djokovic 7430
2. Nadal 6650
3. Federer 6160.

Also he is currently the best player at the moment being in the wimby, toronto and cincy finals.
Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are in poor form at the moment.

It's funny but Fed may be the last man standing when all is said and done despite being 5 years older.
Story of Fraud's career :shrug:

Vulturing when better players are in a slump.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
More like amazing that he's that close to the top 2 despite being 5-6 years older than them. I don't see the other 2 even playing anymore when they're 33.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Realistically (although perhaps other permutations are possible), Federer would need to win or go very deep at US Open, with Djokovic and Nadal both losing early, in order to claim YE1.

I don't see that happening. When was the last time Nadal or Djokovic didn't at least make the semis of a major?
It was in Australian Open 2010 :eek:

If Federer want to be #1 at the end of the year he needs to win the US Open and Djokovic losing in Semifinals, of course if Federer wins Cincinatti. The race would look like this

Federer 8160 (Win)
Djokovic 8150 (Semifinal)
Nadal 7850 (Final)

Even if all this happen, Federer has to play the DC and after this I think Federer won't play in Shanghai. But maybe Djokovic won't play too for his son/daughter :confused:

It's a really difficult scenario but all things can happen

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

If Federer want to be #1 at the end of the year he needs to win the US Open and Djokovic losing in Semifinals, of course if Federer wins Cincinatti. The race would look like this

Federer 8160 (Win)

Nadal 7850 (Final)

Even if all this happen, Federer has to play the DC and after this I think Federer won't play in Shanghai. But maybe Djokovic won't play too for his son/daughter :confused:

If the bit in bold were ever to happen, then I think all Federer fans would die happy. But we all know it won't.

I would also say that with the slim lead in the scenario you provide, it would be very unlikely for Federer to maintain or extend it through the Asian swing. I know he traditionally does well there, but I don't see him at 33 having the legs to maintain that level of consistency after so many matches in the US series. Djokovic or Nadal (both younger, both with more stamina) would overtake.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
You can't be #1 if you don't win finals. If he had won Wimbledon... maybe. If he he had one last week and then wins tomorrow, maybe you could make a case. But yeah ... we will see. He needs to win tomorrow first. If he loses, that's incredibly damaging.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Agree that getting back to 1 by the end of the year is a longshot (albeit possible) - but 2 is looking very doable.

The reality is that Fed has been consistently improving as the year has gone on, while the others have been, to put it mildly, erratic.

Hard to see him losing tomorrow given current form and H2H even if he is tired.

Less likely that Djokovic and Rafa (assuming he plays) get knocked out early at USO, but anything seems possible while the youngerers are playing like olderers and the actual olderer seems intent on showing Raonic and co that it is the younger up and comers who will take over, not them...

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Federer 8160 (Win)
Nadal 7850 (Final)

Why do you think Wawrinka,Tsonga are there to play ? If Wawrinka plays Djokovic in SF
who knows what will happen? Or Tsonga in 4rd and Murray in QF ?! So for Djokovic or Nadal will be very tough to get to final !!!! Let see what will happen! This season is so interesting even we can get a battle for YE #1. Wow it is just perfect !

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
Remarkable stuff from the Swiss. His consistency and timing is incredible. The tanking of the 2013 season was exceptional. Now that the competition is gone, Flowerer can comfortably return to his weak era state and proceed to vulture those titles. #18 and World No.1 NID.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Why do you think Wawrinka,Tsonga are there to play ? If Wawrinka plays Djokovic in SF
who knows what will happen? Or Tsonga in 4rd and Murray in QF ?! So for Djokovic or Nadal will be very tough to get to final !!!! Let see what will happen! This season is so interesting even we can get a battle for YE #1. Wow it is just perfect !
Please change your flag.Can't have a british poster who doesn't speak proper english

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Talking about #1 when he hasn't won a M1000 yet... :facepalm:
Let's wait until tomorrow before mentioning #2 spot, because if he loses this one this will be quickly forgotten. As for #1, well let him reach the final week-end in NY first, which he hasn't done in the past 2 years...

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

You hever know! Do you really think Fed can not beat Djokovic or Murray at Us Open?!

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Very premature imo. If Fed manages both to win Cincy and then to have a much better result than Djokovic in USO and not worse than Nadal then it could become an interesting discussion. But I'd like to see that happen first.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts