Mens Tennis Forums banner

321 - 340 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Saw that match with isner live. Federer lost the first set if I remember. Definitely remember the idiot commentators going gaga over how the new American kid is going to beat him, the crowd seemed to be supporting isner, and then this happened. Didn’t realize it then but the mental focus/concentration must have been at an insane level.

grass season cant start soon enough!

·
Registered
346 Posts
So has Federer now tied Connors with 816 total weeks (rankings as of 6/11/18) in the Top 10? Wikipedia has Connors at 817 weeks in the Top 10.

Regards,

-David

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Slew of records coming up.

Total weeks at 9+, Total weeks at 10+, Total weeks at 25+ and Total weeks at 50+. All are guaranteed at this point.

Total weeks at 100 which is Agassi's record, not yet guaranteed. Only ranking points that Federer has towards this are Stuttgart.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Slew of records coming up.

Total weeks at 9+, Total weeks at 10+, Total weeks at 25+ and Total weeks at 50+. All are guaranteed at this point.

Total weeks at 100 which is Agassi's record, not yet guaranteed. Only ranking points that Federer has towards this are Stuttgart.
If he wins Halle, he will have that record too :surprise:

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Yeah, I find that incredibly hard to believe. All he'd have to do is stay healthy and play another year on tour next year and he'd have over a thousand weeks in the top 100.

He'd have the most weeks at every single ranking point from 1 to 100.

There's never been another player with his career arc in the last 40 years, the only similar player is Rosewall. Only Rosewall's slam win in 1972 is older than Federer is now, and Federer just has two more slams where he'll be younger.

Rosewall would go on reaching 2 GS finals at the age of 40.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So Fed will likely hold all the records soon... but he’s one injury away fro losing the top 2 record to Nadal. And even if he stays healthy, there’s a good chance that Nadal outlasts him by 1y+

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
So Fed will likely hold all the records soon... but he’s one injury away fro losing the top 2 record to Nadal. And even if he stays healthy, there’s a good chance that Nadal outlasts him by 1y+
Nadal is the greatest #2 in history, so maybe he should have that.

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
If Federer closes the year out in the top 4, he'll also match Connors for years in the top 4, 5 and 10.

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Federer/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray is also only 58 weeks shy of Connors/McEnroe/Borg/Lendl's total of 817 weeks. They have already broken the record for consecutive weeks at number one spread out among 4 players. The record for Five players stands at 837 weeks, Connors/McEnroe/Borg/Lendl/Wilander.

Federer/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray/Roddick stands at 772 weeks. They are roughly 65 weeks shy. All they would have to do is hold on until next October. Nole holding Wimbledon means that there's just 5 more slams that could be won before then, with the quartet currently holding three, means that it is very close to impossible for it to be taken prior to next January.

Just 10 months away from a very important record, and to truly consider this current generation the most dominant ever.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Federer/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray is also only 58 weeks shy of Connors/McEnroe/Borg/Lendl's total of 817 weeks. They have already broken the record for consecutive weeks at number one spread out among 4 players. The record for Five players stands at 837 weeks, Connors/McEnroe/Borg/Lendl/Wilander.

Federer/Djokovic/Nadal/Murray/Roddick stands at 772 weeks. They are roughly 65 weeks shy. All they would have to do is hold on until next October. Nole holding Wimbledon means that there's just 5 more slams that could be won before then, with the quartet currently holding three, means that it is very close to impossible for it to be taken prior to next January.

Just 10 months away from a very important record, and to truly consider this current generation the most dominant ever.
And even if we have a new #1 we can replace Roddick in that list and add 13 weeks after october the next year ;)

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
A new number one? Is such a thing even possible?

I think there's some law against it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Who holds the record for most total weeks with at least 1 ranking point? Would it be Connors? How many more years would Federer need to play to get this record?

Thanks,

-David

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Who holds the record for most total weeks with at least 1 ranking point? Would it be Connors? How many more years would Federer need to play to get this record?

Thanks,

-David
I'm not sure. I don't check the ranking lists far enough down to tell. We've had several 40+ year old players lingering on with a point or two so while Connors is a good candidate I can't say if he's got the record.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have calculated the 1000 weeks that Federer stayed in the ATP top 100.
I have done that by giving 100 points to every no. 1 week till so on to no. 100
with only 1 point. The total number of points is over that 1000 weeks an astonishing
93.158 points. This means in my calculation that that is an average from minimal an
8th place and 158 times the 7th and that during 1000 weeks.
That is not happened in the Open Era . We have to go back than to the time of Ken
Rosewall of Australia probably.:smile2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Roger Federer Holds now The all time record open era for the top 3 position, 700 weeks
and for the top 100 position, 1002 weeks. The last one consecutive also for a 1000 weeks.
For the top 50 it will take only a 28 weeks more for reaching the 1000 weeks what is now
already guaranteed or he must stop now then he will fall out of the ranking. Even the 1000
weeks with a top 25 ranking must be easy to reach as he continues playing tennis. That will
be in 2020 then.

321 - 340 of 361 Posts