Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure a lot of players do this or could do this. Fed played bad the whole tournament unable to break serves of mayer, warinka, goffin and still somehow got his way to the final.

I mean in the past him winning cincy vs nole didn't lead to him winning the us open:

2009, 2012 and 2015 beating nole meant nothing to winning the us open title.

There were points where fed's newer backhand was tough for nole to handle and surprised him up the line. It was the fact that fed couldn't really hit forehands or get the returns in to matter.

Let us not write off fed who got to the final playing vastly below even an average level for him and was obviously fatigued . 3 matches of Best of 3 in slightly 28 hours is not ideal for anyone let alone a 37 yo coming back after 5 week break.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I'd like to believe that Rogie will win the 2018 USO, but I have ZERO faith in it happening...

Let's say it actually does happen, then I'd be totally shocked and over the moon!!

I don't see Rafa winning it either, either Djokovic or a surprise winner...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to believe that Rogie will win the 2018 USO, but I have ZERO faith in it happening...

Let's say it actually does happen, then I'd be totally shocked and over the moon!!

I don't see Rafa winning it either, either Djokovic or a surprise winner...

federer could have won that 2nd set just playing an average level. Djoker deserved the win.

Its a totally different match if fed can return serve obviously. Losing 6-4, 6-4 playing maybe your worst match of the season vs djokovic on his way back to form is good enuf for me.

expect massive improvement from fed when they meet again.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Roger is rusty.

he should have played 2-3 clay events. he is plenty healthy and plenty fit.

Yep, I agree (maybe not the clay, but who knows); the rust surely showed. Being fit and healthy does not really mean that the fatigue of playing 3 matches in 28 hrs doesn't affect him at 37 - I think it does, but such is the case and he cannot turn back time.

I am still cautiously optimistic. He is still Roger Federer, and with a few days of focused practised in NY and hopefully some decent early round matches to improve his form, who knows. I am not going with the doom and gloomers, we just have to wait and see.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Yep, I agree (maybe not the clay, but who knows); the rust surely showed. Being fit and healthy does not really mean that the fatigue of playing 3 matches in 28 hrs doesn't affect him at 37 - I think it does, but such is the case and he cannot turn back time.

I am still cautiously optimistic. He is still Roger Federer, and with a few days of focused practised in NY and hopefully some decent early round matches to improve his form, who knows. I am not going with the doom and gloomers, we just have to wait and see.

Roger has too much game. he is just not maintaining it at the moment.

he was rusty off the ground and it cost him.

he was rusty off the ground at Wimbledon and it cost him:

he even admitted it there.

if he doesn't embrace clay next year, he will lose most of his ground game.

part time tennis is going to cost him.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had picked Federer to win.

he should have been able to take this match.

mark my words... federer will not go gently into the night. He will blaze with glory. Just give him time to get a groove. 3 month break taking off clay... then right into grass where no rhhythm of baseline is given then 5 weeks off and playing first tourmament on a fast hard court with jam packed matches hard to improve or practice when u have limited practice.

Please fed fans relax... expect a much much better fed at the us open and probably will play his highest level sometime in the indoor swing basel-wtf.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
Yeah, his baseline game is letting him down since IW, where he got edged by an on fire Del Potro in the final. Another important aspect is that he sucks at the net as well alongside with his worse getting ROS (which really might be due to his age). Guess he just can't keep it up from the baseline like he did pre WTF '17, so he ought to finish rallies earlier.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Yeah, his baseline game is letting him down since IW, where he got edged by an on fire Del Potro in the final. Another important aspect is that he sucks at the net as well alongside with his worse getting ROS (which really might be due to his age). Guess he just can't keep it up from the baseline like he did pre WTF '17, so he ought to finish rallies earlier.

he just has to get his ass on clay more.

either embrace clay or a weak ground game.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he just has to get his ass on clay more.

either embrace clay or a weak ground game.

I thikn he just needs to play a bit more to find rhythm. He played rotterdam then a bit of break till indian wells where he was scratchy still should have won it serving with MP then early exit in miami then 3 month break... that 3 month break while refreshing has cost him a bit of his game..

he wasn't playing all that well at toronto prior to the injury of the back in the final if i recall and should have almost lost to ferrer in 2017

Thank god fed enters us open with no back problems. Give the guy till week 2 of the open to get some form. The scary part is fed still probably beats anyone other than djoker in the cincy final even given his form. He will find some better form in week 2 of us open. I am sure of it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
No energy and motivation from him, its like he didn't care as the tour is so weak.

The creativity turned into usual shots, didnt see him play anything special this year. He is kinda tired of the grind in tennis.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No energy and motivation from him, its like he didn't care as the tour is so weak.

The creativity turned into usual shots, didnt see him play anything special this year. He is kinda tired of the grind in tennis.

once he achieved return to number 1 for a few weeks playing rotterdam.. i feel he is like content more than ever which thank goodness took as long as it did. He has won 3 slams and a bunch of masters since his return in 2017 he was so consistent high level. Its ok for him to have a drop in level for a bit. I expect it to rise though for a fun us open run of some sort. He is not injured this year and he missed it in 2016 so should be nice

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
.......................................................................................................................................................................................

......................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Let us not write off fed who ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
once he achieved return to number 1 for a few weeks playing rotterdam.. i feel he is like content more than ever which thank goodness took as long as it did. He has won 3 slams and a bunch of masters since his return in 2017 he was so consistent high level. Its ok for him to have a drop in level for a bit. I expect it to rise though for a fun us open run of some sort. He is not injured this year and he missed it in 2016 so should be nice
It had been a nice run, he needs another gear from feeling 20 is not enough.

Hopefully he is tanking for USO. I can't see anyone else winning than Rafa/Djokovic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts