Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you want to see Fed dominating for the next 10 years

• Yes - it's great seeing the maestro at work winning nearly everything (YAWN! sorry)

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • No - I want tennis to be more competitive and not have one person dominating

Votes: 42 60.9%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I personally hope if he does play on this long he doesn't dominate as he has the last 3-4 years. It's boring when you know who is going to win. What do you think? That said the headlines a little misleading as Fed doesn't actually say he was to dominate just play - that said I don't see Fed happy unless he is always in contention.

From the BBC
Federer plans decade of dominance

Roger Federer is two short of Pete Sampras' Grand Slam record
Roger Federer has warned his rivals that he plans to go on for another 10 years as he looks to add to his growing number of Grand Slam titles.

Federer has 12 Grand Slams to his name and is determined to surpass Pete Sampras' record of 14.

"My goal is to play for as long as possible, hopefully until I'm 35," said 26-year-old Federer.

"I was hoping to break his record this year but it looks a tough task now after losing the Australian Open."

But I feel refreshed and relaxed now as I haven't been practising at all

Federer exited the season-opening Slam at the semi-final stages in January, losing to eventual winner Novak Djokovic.

It has made his attempt to surpass Sampras' record this year extremely difficult, but the Swiss star still feels he can draw level with the American legend.

"I think it would be a good result for me if I tie it this year," he said.

"Obviously, (the French Open) is a big goal for me. I hope it's not the one that will elude me.

"I've heard people say that this is probably my last chance, but I totally disagree. I think I have a few more years ahead of me if I can't do it this year."

Earlier in the week British number one Andy Murray suggested that Federer would look to "taper down" in the next four or five years, but Federer is determined to dominate for years to come.

The Swiss admitted to being devastated after he was beaten in Melbourne but is refreshed and ready for his assault on the French Open in May.
"The first moment it hits you hard, you really are disappointed," he said. "Then the next day when you wake up, you feel a bit better if you think that you had given your all.

"But I feel refreshed and relaxed now as I haven't been practising at all."

Federer was speaking at the Laureus sports awards, where he won the Sportsman of the Year title for a record fourth year in a row.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
if he thinks he is going to dominate until 35, he is an idiot, and I know Federer is not an idiot

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Last year he played utter pathetic stuff from Dubai until Hamburg, so lets hope this 'rest' has done him some good

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Love how the journalist spun the title, it would be stupid to think he would still dominate at 35, but as long as he doesn't embarass himself and still loves the game, I don't see why he should quit before.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
I don't see anywhere in this article where Fed says that he is going to dominate until he retires. He just wants to play for about 10 more years.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Love how the journalist spun the title, it would be stupid to think he would still dominate at 35, but as long as he doesn't embarass himself and still loves the game, I don't see why he should quit before.
Exactly. Roger never mentions the word dominance in the printed article. Just states that his goal is to play for 10 more years. We don't know what happens in the future.

I don't like to see that far ahead and just appreciate every tournament he plays.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
when fed loses once or twice in a few tournaments, he gets pissed. It would be difficult to see federer losing left and right, and still finding the motivation to play tennis.

i give him till 32/33. the competition is just getting too good. He could probably be a top 25 player with a outside chance to win a slam at 35 yrs but i dont think he could play tournaments with that kind of chance.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Personally, I do hope he plays a full schedule until he is 35. that means a good many years of him losing a satisfactory (for me) number of matches. :)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Personally, I do hope he plays a full schedule until he is 35. that means a good many years of him losing a satisfactory (for me) number of matches. :)
that sounded so bitter. poor you. :haha:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hope Roger can win atleast 1 slam every year until 35!!! That would be wonderful.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
is star a Roddick fan?
Yes. And not only that, I'm a serial sinner. I like Nadal and Djokovic and Berdych and Ancic and Isner and Rochus and Malisse and a host of other players too. :) :) :)

Oh yeah, and I'm on that Nishikora bandwagon too. :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts