Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you FastTennis for transcriping

Not winning RG
I know that if I don’t win Roland Garros it will look like a huge gap in my CV, because that’s how people judge you at the end by what you didn’t achieve.
People talk about Bjorn not winning the US, Sampras and McEnroe not winning the French and Lendl never winning Wimbledon, it creeps into conversation because as humans we look at gaps and not success.

On Nadal catching up
I think he is more than that (contender) now, I can feel his improvement match by match, but I don’t want to just focus on nadal and miss a dark horse coming from nowhere.

His favourite match in Wimbledon
The last sets of the Roddick and Gasquet match that was fantastic, he was very tired by the time he had to play me the next day. But he opened a window of the kind of tennis he is capable of and it was art.

On exhibition match with Sampras
It’s a real honour to share a tennis court with a legend, he still has that aura about him he commands complete respect.

On Switzerland getting a new generation of players
We have great tennis coaches, kids that want to learn and the Swiss Tennis (Swiss federation) is trying hard but not iplaying on luck not good planning, as a nation we have to get more ambitious, we measure success by how we are doing domestically not internationally.
When I was in the junior people would congratulate me for being swiss junior number one, for me that didn’t mean much, I was only happy when I was world junior number 1.
Why should we fight to host tennis tournaments and fight for Masters Series categories when tennis courts are closing in Basel and Geneva? They’re not being replaced in other area that’s wrong.
Spain benefited from hosting the Barcelona Olympics they built tennis courts and academy’s and that were their tennis players are coming from now. And then you see the French who have one of the best junior tennis machines in the world, in America they have the academies that get people from all over the world immigrating to. We have nothing in Switzerland that’s competing at that level.

Population verus success
Yes there are only 7 million of us but you look at Serbia, Czech Republic and Croatia. Population numbers is not the only indicator of how good or bad we should be, it about the climate and hunger of the young ones coming through.

On his personal future
Everybody is getting married and having children, I want to be a dad I would love that but I don’t think it’s a good idea right now my ambition would make me a selfish dad and I want to be a good dad.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Thank you FastTennis for transcriping

His favourite match in Wimbledon
The last sets of the Roddick and Gasquet match that was fantastic, he was very tired by the time he had to play me the next day. But he opened a window of the kind of tennis he is capable of and it was art.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Interesting and wise. :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
*wow* - great stuff. He always gets much more personal and deep in Swiss German.

Interesting thoughts about becoming a dad, in other words he's saying - not till after I retire, or close to it.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*wow* - great stuff. He always gets much more personal and deep in Swiss German.

Interesting thoughts about becoming a dad, in other words he's saying - not till after I retire, or close to it.
exactly although he's fluent in so many languages its only when he hear roger speak in Swiss German that you get a better insight into him...

i also got the same thing about the dad conversation, i.e. he's saying he'd actually sacrifice being a good dad..which sounds really harsh but its more a sign of i need to give 100% to my child or 100% to my tennis...

i wonder what his views are on hewitt/henman

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
i also got the same thing about the dad conversation, i.e. he's saying he'd actually sacrifice being a good dad..which sounds really harsh but its more a sign of i need to give 100% to my child or 100% to my tennis...
In fact, he's saying that he won't sacrifice that - that's why he's waiting.

I think he would be perfectly content not to worry himself with that for the next 6 or 7 years or so (he's barely 26!) if Mirka wasn't 3 years older. As he gets closer to retirement, it would become a factor.

Having a child now doesn't only mean not being around his child as often as he would like, it would also mean to lose what I'm sure is the one person keeping him grounded and sane on tour, I don't think there had ever been a world number one with such a dominant spouse who is THIS involved in his career and day to day schedual.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I really loved his answer about his fave match!!
Thats what i love most about Roger!

and he ll be a fantastic dad:D

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
where did the 'Ego King' nick name come from? The guy seems very humble and down to earth to me.
Hatred clouds one's view, you know. Sad but true.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts