Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you consider him greater than them now? If he gets 7, he'll match Mats and JMac. If he gets 8, he'll match Agassi.

At the rate his is going, he'll match Sampras in 4 years.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The cool thing is that I believe Becker and Edberg were two of his childhood idols, so I'm sure it means a lot to match them in Slam totals.

Of course, at the rate he's going, he would match Sampras in four years, but it'll be very, very difficult to sustain this same level for four years.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
One needs to look at other factors. Few people view Wilander greater than Becker/Edberg, despite having 1 more slam, or equal to Mac. On the other hand, many view Mac greater than Lendl, despite having less Slams, total titles and inferior #1 record. But Mac gets bonus points from 'brilliance'.

If Fed quit today, he would be viewed very close to Mac legacy-wise, because of his awesome dominance over last 2 years.

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
hope he can get couple gs more

·
Registered
331 Posts
Suppose Federer is injured and never sets forth on a tennis court again.

He would be regarded as someone in the Rod Laver, Sampras class - not the Edberg, Becker, Wilander class.

People would say things like - if it wasn't for his injury he would have matched/beaten Pete Sampras' record of GS etc Easily one of the top 5 players of all time.........

Right now, we are just waiting for him to get to 10 GS and then on to Pete's record.

And I suspect most of the players feel likewise.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
thing is I don't know he will beat Sampras' record eventually. sure he has a shot but needs to remain injury free and motivated.the next two years I can see him winning 2 slams/year if he's injury free. but after that? he wants it bad now.. but to keep this level of intensity up day in day out for another 4-6 years? who knows. I appreciate Roger for being Roger now :).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Timariot said:
One needs to look at other factors. Few people view Wilander greater than Becker/Edberg, despite having 1 more slam, or equal to Mac. On the other hand, many view Mac greater than Lendl, despite having less Slams, total titles and inferior #1 record. But Mac gets bonus points from 'brilliance'.

If Fed quit today, he would be viewed very close to Mac legacy-wise, because of his awesome dominance over last 2 years.
Better than McEnroe.

Where are Federer's rivals?

Who are they?

He has 6 GS out of the last 10. No-one else has more than 1.

He wins finals relatively easily.

·
Registered
331 Posts
JustmeUK said:
thing is I don't know he will beat Sampras' record eventually. sure he has a shot but needs to remain injury free and motivated.the next two years I can see him winning 2 slams/year if he's injury free. but after that? he wants it bad now.. but to keep this level of intensity up day in day out for another 4-6 years? who knows. I appreciate Roger for being Roger now :).
But Roger can cruise to victory at Wimbledon - just like Pete did - for many years to come. Other tournaments may become too tough once he is past his peak. But Wimbledon is an easy GS for someone who can play on grass.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
It's his record in finals that's so amazing. He only needs to reach 14 finals to win 14 grand slams. Whereas Pete Sampras needed to reach 18 finals to win 14 slams.
Lendl needed 19 finals to win 8 slams.
Agassi also won 8 slams but from 15 final appearances.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Jimnik said:
It's his record in finals that's so amazing. He only needs to reach 14 finals to win 14 grand slams. Whereas Pete Sampras needed to reach 18 finals to win 14 slams.
Lendl needed 19 finals to win 8 slams.
Agassi also won 8 slams but from 15 final appearances.
that's pushing it a bit. I mean I love Fed but I seriously don't think he will win 14/14 slams finals.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
kundalini said:
But Roger can cruise to victory at Wimbledon - just like Pete did - for many years to come. Other tournaments may become too tough once he is past his peak. But Wimbledon is an easy GS for someone who can play on grass.
I agree. Maybe Roger will soon start to struggle more on the hard courts but on grass I think he'll be dominant for many years to come.
Firstly, grass isn't as physically demanding as the other surfaces because the rallies are shorter.
Secondly, out of all the youngsters that are coming through, I don't see much grass court potential. Nadal, Djokovic, Gasquet, Monfils and Murray have all grown up on clay.
Thirdly, all the top grass court players like Hewitt and Roddick aren't causing Roger any problems at the moment. And Ancic hasn't progressed as much as everyone hoped.

I think Roger will win 6-8 Wimbledon titles.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kundalini said:
Suppose Federer is injured and never sets forth on a tennis court again.

He would be regarded as someone in the Rod Laver, Sampras class - not the Edberg, Becker, Wilander class.

People would say things like - if it wasn't for his injury he would have matched/beaten Pete Sampras' record of GS etc Easily one of the top 5 players of all time.........

That's debatable. Remember when Monica was on track to be the best of all time. Now she's considered below Steffi.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
JustmeUK said:
that's pushing it a bit. I mean I love Fed but I seriously don't think he will win 14/14 slams finals.
I know, I exaggerated to make a point. I could see him loosing a Roland Garros final to Nadal maybe and possibly a hard court final to one of the new generation but I don't see him loosing any finals anytime soon.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
That's debatable. Remember when Monica was on track to be the best of all time. Now she's considered below Steffi.
I don't think Monica would have ever won Wimbledon. She was only getting the better of Steffi on slower surfaces.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts