Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger Federer survived a scare before beating Milos Raonic to reach the third round of the Madrid Open, while world number two Rafael Nadal made short work of Nikolay Davydenko.

Federer, returning after five weeks off, had to come from behind to beat Raonic 4-6 7-5 7-6 (7-4).

The 16-time Grand Slam winner started slowly in his first clay court match of the season and Raonic took full advantage. The in-form Canadian, who defeated Andy Murray in the quarter-finals of the Barcelona Open, needed only one break point on his way to taking the first set.

Federer restored parity in the second and then saved numerous break points in the third set before sealing a hard-fought win in the tie-break.
"It was pretty much a big struggle for me tonight but sometimes these kinds of wins can create good things," said Federer.

Nadal cantered to a 6-2 6-2 win over his Russian opponent, breaking Davydenko four times on his way to the third round.

The Spaniard, like world number one Novak Djokovic before him, criticised the new blue clay surface in Madrid. The courts have been changed from red to blue for the tournament, in the middle of a busy clay schedule, and it has infuriated many of the game’s top stars.

"Conditions here are completely different than on the rest of the clay circuit. If this was in the summer or at the end of the season I would have nothing to say," said Nadal, the king of clay, who is unsurprisingly the runaway favourite in the French Open Betting.

"I'm not against change but this is the wrong time of the calendar for it. I don't want to speak more on this."

All of the players on show at the Madrid Open are building towards the French Open, which begins at the end of May.

Nadal will meet Fernando Verdasco in the next round, while Federer will play Richard Gasquet.

Don’t forget to check out Betfairfor all the latest odds, previews, tips and opinion ahead of Roland Garros.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts