Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most people's musical taste varies, I decided not to add a poll, and just discuss, who are your favorite singers, why, when, how?
Mine are:
Janis Joplin: My dad loves rock music, and he introduced me to her. (He's not a very big fan though)
Mariah Carey: My mom and I used to watch a concert of hers on tape, and I used to love watching it with her, ever since then, I have loved her.
Eddie Vedder: Lead singer of Pearl Jam, I have only recently truly discovered his music (in the band) and his songs, voice, and style just draw me like a moth to a light.

·
Banned
295 Posts
When I think of my favourite singers, I don't just think vocals but also lyrics, overall quality of work by the band/artists. Some of my favourites:

Morrissey - mainly for his work with the Smiths, although I do own some of his solo albums.

Mariah Carey - one of the best singers of all time not quite as good a lyricist but not too bad. :D

Nelly Furtado - I followed since her first album. Not the greatest vocalist but I love her songwriting and all her albums which I've heard so far.

John Lennon - From the Beatles til his solo career one of the world's great artists.

Prince - A great all round musician as well as a singer.

·
Registered
57,587 Posts
Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes

I divide my favorite music into a Bright Eyes and a non-Bright Eyes playlist.

Paul Simon, Max Bemis, Bob Dylan, and whatever the names of the Moody Blues and The National lead singer are.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
John Coltrane would only jam with one crooner: Johnny Hartman. That's how alpha Hartman was. His serenades would make Dames faint.

Imitated by Mike Bubbles, Kurt Elling, Matt Dusk--all muppets in comparison. Maybe Elling's not so bad.

Honourable mentions: The Man in Black Johnny Cash, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Elvis, Tony Boom Boom Bennett.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Axl Rose, what a legend :p

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
^ :lol:

It's funny how average people can make their voices sound like that. He would've been the easiest guy to replace.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes

I divide my favorite music into a Bright Eyes and a non-Bright Eyes playlist.

Paul Simon, Max Bemis, Bob Dylan, and whatever the names of the Moody Blues and The National lead singer are.
Justin Hayward :inlove:

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
I hate to admit it but I have every CD they have made except for their last one. Even the one Justin Did with John Lodge :eek: My favs are all the first 5 albums/discs. I have seen them in concert 3 times.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Yeah, Eddie Vedder. One of the great rock voices. OP is spot on.

His soundtrack on "In the Wild" is amazing. That's what my singing voice sounds like.

When I was young, my voice was more like Micheal Jackson's ("he, he"). Today I sound like Eddie Vedder--not as good as Johnny Hartman, but still, nothing to be ashamed aboot. :)

Some instruments I play: guitar, accordian, and gusle. I'm a folk/ballroom dancer as well.

And I am more than proficient in the exquisite art of kung fu, etc....:lol:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Going on voices alone, for men at least I think not a lot of people would pick the same singers as me:

Male:

1) Klaus Meine (Scorpions):

2) Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica):

3) Paul Stanley (KISS):

I think all have something in common - all their voices are pretty high for men. And the first two especially have a slightly nasal tone. Not one you'd first think 'nasal' when you hear it, but it gives them a certain sound that is unique. Sadly in Paul's case his voice went down-hill after '03 or so :sad:. And I don't like a lot of Kiss songs compared to in the past, but still love his voice and think he's underrated just 'cause his band isn't exactly 'respectable'.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
For females:

1) Christina Aguilera

2) Amy Lee

3) Aretha Franklin

These three need no introduction really, first song proves she sounds awesome even singing relatively controlled and subtle (she's not just good at shrieking as many think). But since in recent times I somewhat turned my back on 'chart music' (at first for an experiment, but it has stuck) I don't for the most part miss her songs at all, though I'll always enjoy her voice and have retained a select few (this one included).

Evanescence though I like them are painful to listen to too many songs in a row. I have no qualms about liking heaps of their songs, but purely in a random shuffle context with other artists.

I don't really give a damn about Aretha's voice post-1980 (and her music a bit before that) but "Lady Soul" (1968) is probably my favourite album though :inlove:.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts