Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 27.3%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm between Kubrick, Nolan and Coppola. If I have to pick one I'd go with Nolan. Even if i'm not that much of a fan of some movies that are supposedly among his best (Inception and Interstellar) with (mainly) Memento, The Dark Knight and The Prestige he takes it for me.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts
Haven't seen a lot of Kathryn Bigelow I admit, but her two latest war movies were masterpieces I thought when it came to atmosphere.

Nolan is a very intelligent guy and I enjoy his movies but he's missing just that tiny bit of... what do you say, artistry? Freedom of mind? Feels like he's too logical sometimes.

Tarantino is a gifted guy as well but his movies are always much better in the build-up to the finale then the actual finale imo.

Guy Ritchie has a unique style as well, worked perfectly in Lock, Stock & Snatch and his latest movies aren't quite that good but still.

Should really watch more Kubrik.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Having Nolan on the list but not Scorsese:facepalm:
Nolan has every reason to be on the list, but I missed Scorsese, I was 100% sure I had put him :facepalm: Will edit.

Apparently you can't edit the poll.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Kubrick or Tarantino from the poll. I also prefer the likes of Linklater, PTA, Malick, Tarkovsky, Lumet and Leone more than most of the names in the poll.

Ranking my order of preference from the poll, I'd go:

Kubrick > Tarantino > Coppola (too much crap weighs him down post 70s, but his output in that decade, my personal favourite for films, was remarkable) = Hitchcock > Fincher > Spielberg (despite the Oscar bait) > Cameron = Welles = Nolan (don't really care for either outside of a few films).

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
None of the above are in my top 5 but among those Hitchcock is my favorite and Kubruck is up there as well

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Fincher

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
No Ingmar Bergman in the main options... :facepalm:

His movies are some of the most heart-warming, strong, metaphysical, and simply most incredible of all time.

Movies like Autumn Sonata, Persona, Fanny and Alexander, Cries and Whispers, The Seventh Seal, Winter Light and many others are so incredible you'd be hard pressed to not put him in your Top 5.

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
Alain Resnais
Good pick.

L'année Dernière à Marienbad is one of my all-time favourites. Hiroshima mon amour is his absolute classic for the general audiences. I also liked his more recent Vous n'avez encore rien vu, who I thought was a bit underrated.

My top directors would be:

Ingmar Bergman
David Lynch
Stanley Kubrick
Béla Tarr
Quentin Tarantino
Andrei Tarkovski
Carl Theodor Dreyer
Michael Haneke
Alain Resnais
Robert Bresson
Fritz Lang

(and others I may have forgotten)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Good pick.

L'année Dernière à Marienbad is one of my all-time favourites. Hiroshima mon amour is his absolute classic for the general audiences. I also liked his more recent Vous n'avez encore rien vu, who I thought was a bit underrated.

My top directors would be:

Ingmar Bergman
David Lynch
Stanley Kubrick
Béla Tarr
Quentin Tarantino
Andrei Tarkovski
Carl Theodor Dreyer
Michael Haneke
Alain Resnais
Roberts Bresson
Fritz Lang

(and others I may have forgotten)
The poll seems to be restricted to the Anglosphere. Other notables might be:

Kurosawa
Godard
Antonioni
Fellini
Rosselini
Ozu
Ford
Hawks
Wilder
Chaplin
Cassavetes
Altman
Keaton
Lean

And so on. My favourite would be Scorsese,but from the poll,Hitchcock

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
The poll seems to be restricted to the Anglosphere.
Truth be told, nothing beats European (and Asian) cinema from the fifties to the seventies.

And we all know cinema has declined very badly since the middle of the 80s, as a whole. The great directors/films are getting rarer every day. Of course there's been outstanding cinema since, but we don't make true, honest, beautiful and engaging movies like those masters used to (not as much I mean).

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
Embarrassing that Nolan is leading. Guy has no sense of subtlety whatsoever, and the direction in his action scenes are terrible.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Embarrassing that Nolan is leading. Guy has no sense of subtlety whatsoever, and the direction in his action scenes are terrible.
This.

Also, Inception has got to be one of the most unimaginative representations of dreams in cinema history. That, and literally half the movie is nothing but exposition.

b-but muh practical FX!!1!
Yeah, I'd take a well-directed CGI action sequence over what he does any day.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts