Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i wonder which tournements in general have the fastest/slowest surface (clay, Hard, Indoor-tournements counted)?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Dubai Masters.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Not ATP, but the fastest current surface that I know of for all pro-tennis is the Sarajevo Challenger, which is basically like playing on a basketball court. I remember a few years back where it was something crazy like 70% of the matches had TBs in them because the serves were impossible to return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok is it possible to rank this clay-tournements?
Buenos Aires, Munchen, Estoril, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rom, Nice, Geneve, Roland garros, Hamburg, Kitzbuhel, Båstad, Umag, Gstaad

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Halle grass is very fast too.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Excluding MM tournaments, it's Wimbledon.

·
Registered
14,852 Posts
Sarajevo Challenger... Was incredible fast. Full of tiebreaks, everyone looks Karlovic on that court.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Ok is it possible to rank this clay-tournements?
Buenos Aires, Munchen, Estoril, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rom, Nice, Geneve, Roland garros, Hamburg, Kitzbuhel, Båstad, Umag, Gstaad
Clay tournaments differs from each other mainly in altitude. There is 1 group with higher altitude places like Madrid, Gstaad, Quito (highest clay court tournament on ATP), Munchen and Kitzbuhel and then there's a second group with lower altitude places like Monte Carlo, Rome, Nice, Paris, BA, Bastad, Umag, Estoril, Hamburg (special, because it's played indoors). Geneva is somewhere middle. Of course that the second group is played a bit slower than the first one because of the altitude. Then you have to take into account the weather, more sun makes the clay bouncier and faster, more rain makes clay slippier and slower. But generally the higher altitude ones are faster.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
According to the relative ace rate 2013 and a several of years beforebefore, MC was the slowest and Bastad, Nice, Rome very close to MC.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=27917346&postcount=36

http://heavytopspin.com/2013/11/19/the-speed-of-every-2013-surface/

That's a great find man! So Wimbledon is still one of the fastest surfaces in the world at #4 even though it has been slowed down. 15 years ago, it would have been #1. I don't know about the US Open and Australia with the same rate though. The US Open is definitely a quicker court in my opinion.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,655 Posts
Fastest are generally your indoors (except Paris and WTF London, woefully slow). Memphis is pretty fast indoors - featured big server in past three finals - Lopez, Karlovic and Anderson, all losing to Nishikori)
Dubai and Tokyo would be fastest of your ATP500 on HCs, and Brisbane as ATP250 - in fact one of my favourite tournaments to watch.
Then Cincy, Shanghai and USO Masters, Madrid on clay. On grass, Halle for sure. Karlovic delivered 45 aces vs Berdych there.

Slowest: IW/Miami - think IW slower? Acapulco is medium slow HC and as mentioned Paris indoors and World Tour finals are slow for Indoors standards. Monte Carlo and RG are slowest clay courts imo, followed by Rome/Barcelona (medium pace), but RG used to be dead slow.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,655 Posts
Tokyo, Stockholm, Brisbane, halle, queens, Washington, memphis are the quickest I can think of.
yes Washington, of course. How could I forget from last week :lol:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
taking indoors out of the equation(all are generally quite fast)

the fastest outdoors are halle, queens, washington, cincinatti, us open.

wimbledon isnt quick enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts